Chapter Twelve // Più Bella

I stared at Johnny for a few seconds. I hadn't expected him to call me nice. Sure, I was glad that he thought I was a good person, but I wanted more

Johnny doesn't think of you like you think of him! Stop wanting him to be gay!, I thought to myself. 

"Ponyboy?" he asked again. This time, his swing was still, and he was looking right at me. 

"What is it?" I replied. He turned a bright red color, and he adjusted the collar on his shirt. 

"There's something else I want to tell you," he started. I licked my lips. 

"What is it, Johnnycakes?" I questioned. 

He's going to ask you if you're gay. He's going to ask why you're such a freak, I thought to myself. 

"You are carina, but you are also super bellismo, too," he said shyly. I felt my heart beat faster. Johnny looked down, embarrassed. 

"You think I'm beautiful?" I asked, clearly surprised. Somehow, he managed to turn an even brighter red. 

"I think you are the most bellismo person in the world. Hell, you are the più bella person I've ever seen!" he exclaimed.

"You really mean it?" I asked. Johnny nodded, and then stood up, walking closer to me. 

"I mean it, il mio amore," he whispered in my ear. 

Before I could say anything, he had ran off. 

-

I walked home by myself a few minutes later, thinking about what Johnny had said. He had called me beautiful, and he said that I was the prettiest person in the world.

I wanted to be happy about what he said, but a part of me told him it was fake. 

What if Johnny was pranking me?

I didn't want his words to be fake. I desperately wanted the words that he whispered in my ear to be the truth. 

I wasn't sure what to say next time I saw him. 

Should I profess my love for him, or should I ignore that the situation ever happened? Possibilities swirled inside of my head, further confusing me.

I just wished Johnny hadn't called me the prettiest person in the world. He was the prettiest person in the world. 

Johnny was just so perfect. I wanted to kiss his soft pink lips, and tug at his long, dark strands of hair. I wanted to gaze into his dark eyes that radiated beauty, and I wanted to count every single freckle that appeared on his tanned skin. 

I was like a peasant compared to him; he was like a Greek God. 

Before I knew it, I was at my house. 

-

I stepped into my bedroom, only to find Soda on my bed. 

"Pony!" he greeted me, jumping up. I raised my eyebrows. 

"Hi Soda, what's up?" I asked, a bit surprised by his enthusiasm. 

"Can we talk about something?" he questioned, biting his lip. I gave him an odd look, and then nodded. We both sat down on the bed. 

"What's going on?" I asked. Soda took a deep breathe. 

"I don't want to force anything out of you, but you really like Johnny, don't you?" he asked. My jaw dropped. 

"How did you know? Did Steve tell you?" I exclaimed. I groaned internally. Of course Steve told everyone. 

"No, no! Steve didn't say anything, I swear. I overheard you guys talking, though," he mumbled. I immediately face palmed.

"Are you mad?" I asked, weakly. Soda immediately shook his head. 

"Why would I? I know the feeling," he stated. I widened my eyes. 

"Are you-" I started. I got cut off.

"No, I'm not gay," he said, hushing me. I felt like he was hiding something, but I didn't want to badger him. 

"Well, alright," I replied, biting my lip. He smiled weakly. 

"So, why do you like Johnny?" he asked. I couldn't help but smile when he mentioned him again. 

"He's just so nice. He understands things, and he always tries to make me feel good about myself. Plus, I love his accent, it's super cute. On top of that, he's just so attractive. I mean, his eyes are a pretty shade, and his skin is radiant, and his hair looks soft. He just reminds me of a Greek God," I stated. Soda giggled. 

"It sounds like my little brother's in l - o - v - e. Love," he said in a singing voice. I turned bright red. 

"Maybe. But, I think you're right. I think I am in love," I whispered. 

"Well, don't worry little brother. I won't tell," he stated. 

Sodapop walked out of the room.