Chapter Thirty Six // Ain't What It Looks Like

Previously:

"So..I guess we have some explaining to do.." started Steve. I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, so if I were you, I'd start talking.."

-

"How much did you see?" asked Steve, pulling away from Dallas. Dally didn't even look in my direction. 

"J- just you guys kissing," I replied. I realized that I never thought I'd see either of them kiss a man, never mind each other. 

Steve sighed. 

"Listen, Pony, it ain't what it looks like..." stated Steve, trailing off. I had to stifle a laugh.

"Really? Seeing two boys make out isn't what it looks like?" I retorted back. Steve shook his head. 

Dallas still didn't utter a word.

For some reason, I felt more scared of him when he was silent than when he was yelling at me. 

"It isn't that-" started Steve, before something else happened.

Dally took his leather jacket off of the couch, hastily putting it on. His face was unreadable, and his hair was utterly messy. 

He walked through he front door, out of sight. 

"Now look what you did!" exclaimed Steve, trying to get up off the couch.

I held onto his arm, making sure he wasn't going anywhere. 

"Why were you guys kissing? Are you together?" I asked, suspiciously. Steve looked down.

"God damn it! We aren't together, Ponyboy!" he started, his face turning pink. "It was just an experiment. We wanted to know what it would be like to k- kiss a b- boy."

I didn't get to say anything, because suddenly, Steve left the room.

-

The next day..

I walked into work, feeling a bit nervous. It was my first day working at the DX, and I wasn't sure what to do. 

Sitting at the counter was Soda, looking as bored as ever. 

"Hey, Pepsi-Cola, what's going on?" I asked, grabbing my DX shirt. It was bigger on me because of my small frame, but otherwise, it looked alright.

"Nothing, nothing. Steve is in a pissy mood, so he's been sitting in back all afternoon," Soda stated. I gulped suddenly. 

"Did he say why he was upset?" I probed. Sodapop shook his head. 

"No, he's been refusing to talk," Soda started. "Dally came by here earlier too, and he seemed pretty mad himself."

I sighed, feeling my palms get sweaty. 

They were still mad at me for catching them kiss. 

I wasn't sure if I should believe what they said about only kissing to see what it would be like to kiss another boy. From how I saw it, they looked like they were kissing with a deep passion, and reckless abandonment.

Were Dally and Steve gay for each other, or were they really just experimenting like they said?

I was taken out of my thoughts when someone walked into the shop, setting the bell off. 

I turned around to see who it was. 

It was Marcia. 

"Ponyboy Curtis, could I talk to you outside, please?" she asked. 

Soda groaned, annoyed. I pleaded with my eyes. 

"Fine, go ahead. But be back quick, because I want to leave already," he stated. 

Marcia and I scurried out of the store quickly, careful not to piss Sodapop off. 

-

Marcia and I stepped outside into the blazing sun. She was wearing a skirt that was a light pink, as well as a white top. But, her eyebrows were furrowed, and her eyes looked hopeful, almost as if she was thinking about something. 

"What did you need, Marcia?" I asked her, wanting to get straight to the point. I didn't want to waste any time.

"You're gay, and you're friends with Cherry, right?" Marcia started. I shot my eyebrows up.

"Yeah, I guess. What does that have to do with anything?" I shot back, unsure if she was going to offended Cherry or I.

Marcia bit her lip and closed her eyes, almost as if she was thinking long and hard about something. 

"Listen, Ponyboy. Cherry kissed me the other day, and I t- think that I l- liked it!" she said in an exasperated voice. I gasped. 

"Wait, really?" I responded, shocked. I couldn't help but smile. 

Cherry was going to be beyond pleased when she heard of this. 

"Yeah, yeah, I think so. Just, don't tell her yet!" she exclaimed. I shrugged my shoulders. 

"Alright, I won't," I started. "But, you have to tell her, and tell her soon."

Marcia nodded nervously, almost like she was struggling. 

"I will. Soon. Thank you, Ponyboy," she giggled, before giving me a kiss on the cheek. 

She turned around, and walked to her car.