Chapter Seven // Zucchero

I started to open my eyes, when I realized something.

Johnny's arms were wrapped around me, holding me tightly. I could also feel his bare chest against my back.

For some reason, I cuddled closer to him, wanting to feel him pressed up against me.

I closed my eyes.

-

I woke up a few minutes later when Johnny began to move.

He removed his arms from me, and I almost let out an audible whimper. I felt him roll over.

I decided to turn my head to look at him.

I immediately bit my lip, trying to stifle a gasp.

Johnny's hair was thrown in every direction possible, the black strands across his forehead. His cheeks were flushed pink, and he looked like he was glowing. His pink lips looked full and soft.

But, that wasn't all.

When the sun hit his body, his skin seemed to radiate. His abs were more prominent today, and I wanted to reach out and touch them. For the first time, I could actually see his tanned long legs, which were attached to his-

No! Don't think like that! I screamed to myself. 

I was taken out of my thoughts. 

"Ponyboy?" he asked. His voice was raspy and deep. 

I felt my knees start to shake, and my hands start to sweat.

"What is it, Johnny?" I replied. He sat down on the bed next to me. 

"Well, I don't know how to say this.."  he started, trailing off. I widened my eyes.

"....what would you like for breakfast?"

-

I got my hopes up for some reason when Johnny said "I don't know how to say this." He clearly meant that he was unsure what to say to me because of his bad English. 

You're an idiot, I cursed myself. 

Currently, Johnny and I were back in his kitchen. He was rummaging through things, trying to find something to eat.

"What do you want to eat, Pony?" he asked, looking back at me. 

He still wasn't wearing a shirt. 

"Whatever you make is fine, Johnnycakes. The food you made yesterday was great," I stated. He looked back into the fridge. 

"Oh! How about francese toast?" he offered. I raised my eyebrows. 

"That's not Italian!" I said. He smirked. 

"Just because I'm an Italiano doesn't mean I can't enjoy Francese food!" he exclaimed. I could tell that he was pretending to be mad, and that he was trying to not giggle. 

He burst out laughing. 

-

I was helping Johnny powder the french toast. I loved powdered sugar. 

The french toast smelled so good. It smelled like dough and maple syrup, which was making me feel even hungrier than I was already. 

Next to me, Johnny was cutting up some strawberries. They smelled sweet.

Slowly, I inched my fingers closer to one of the strawberries, and took one, popping it in my mouth. 

Johnny gasped. 

"Ponyboy! Il mio amore, you ate one of the berries!" he pouted. I giggled. 

"I was hungry! Plus, I like strawberries," I replied. 

Johnny huffed, but then his eyes went wide. 

"Oh! You have something on your cheek!" he exclaimed. 

I reached out to wipe it off, but Johnny held my hands, and the kissed my cheek. 

"What was that for?" I asked, giggling slightly. Johnny pulled away. 

"You had powdered zucchero on your cheek! I couldn't let it go to waste!"

I felt my cheeks go pink.