Chapter Thirty Eight // Florence

A Week Later...

Steve and I sat in the back of the car, both of us by the window practically holding our breathes. Dallas was bunched up in between us, while Two Bit laid on the car floor, groaning. Soda was up in the front seat, while Darry was driving. 

Today was the day that we were going to Italy, on our quest to find Johnny. Steve and I were going to get onto the plane, and fly thousands of miles to try and connect me with my long lost lover. 

I smiled sadly, thinking about Johnny. It had been so long since I had the privilege to have him, to hold him, and to be in his presence. 

Although I haven't seen him in so long, I could still remember his curly black hair, and his striking brown eyes that would turn an amber color when the light hit them. I remembered his plump lips and what they felt like pressed against mine, and the warmth that would radiate off of his hands every time I held them. I remembered his gleeful laugh and cheery smiles, and his essence as a person. 

I felt like I remembered every detail of him, and it made me fall more and more in love with him despite the fact that he wasn't here with me anymore.

I was taken out of my thoughts when I felt Dallas shuffle next to me. 

I looked away from the window slyly, trying to see what he was doing.

 No one else seemed to notice the oddness that overtook his actions, since Two Bit was hung over and complaining on the floor like a "man baby."

Dally took his brown leather jacket off, and put it on his knees, blocking the view from everyone except for me and Steve. Slowly, he took his left hand, moving it slowly. 

Before I knew it, his fingers had interlocked with Steve's, holding his hand tightly. 

They paid no attention to me, since they were staring deeply into each other's eyes. Dally's dark blue orbs met Steve's light ones, and it was almost as if they were one. 

Suddenly, they pulled away, acting oblivious as to what had just happened between them.

I turned away, pretending to have not noticed, but I smiled wide. 

They loved each other, they had to. I just wondered when they would see it.

"..You see, Sodapop, I don't get the big deal about soda. Beer is where all the shit is at!" exclaimed Two Bit, slurring a bit. Everyone in the car audibly groaned.

"At least soda doesn't make you drunk and irresponsible!" shot back Darry, not taking his eyes off the road. Soda looked back at Two Bit, sticking his tongue out like a child. 

"Yeah, well, if I had a dollar every time I saw Sodapop get wasted, I'd be a billion-" started Two Bit, before Sodapop started yelling. 

"I ain't drinking alcohol, and you know it!" replied Soda defensively. He glanced at Darry, who was giving him a cold, hard state.

Darry sure was going to beat him later if Sodapop actually drank. 

Dally suddenly stepped in.

"Soda, if you've never had any alcohol, then I've fucked Steve in the ass at least five times already!" yelled Dally. I widened my eyes, looking at the potential couple.

The car was silent.

Dally looked suave and like he ruled the world, but Steve was a different story. His face turned pink, and he was subconciously clutching onto Dally's arm for dear life. He looked embarrassed, almost like he was hiding something. 

"..You know, if you guys actually have fucked, I think that y'all would be a hot couple," commented Two Bit with a grin on his face. 

Steve completely broke down in humiliation, while Soda and Dally laughed their asses off.

"Steve wouldn't be able to take my huge dick anyways," said Dally, winking at all of us. I saw Steve huff.

"That's right, cause Dally loves to be on the bottom!" shot back Steve sassily, not taking Dally's treatment. 

They started to play fight in the back seat.

-

Steve and I stepped into the plane, my anxiety at an all time high. I was beyond nervous, unsure of what to expect.

A part of me was scared that Johnny wouldn't come back with us, and that terrified me beyond belief. 

Steve grabbed me by the sleeve of my shirt, dragging me down the isle of the plane. He too was nervous about going back to Italy for the first time in years. He clutched onto my shirt, looking at the numbers that were on every seat. 

Finally, he stopped.

"This is where we're sitting," he stated, nodding towards the seats. I stepped into the space, taking the seat by the window. I felt my body shake as Steve sat down next to me.

"When we get there, where's the first place we're going to look?" asked Steve, looking at me. He pulled down the sleeves of his denim jacket. 

"Florence. Johnny said that that's where he lived before he came to Tulsa," I replied, biting my lip. Steve just laughed. 

"What?" I questioned, confused.

"Nothing, nothing.  It's just said that Florence was a safe haven for gays back in the day, so it's funny to me that Johnny is gay, too," he giggled.  I cracked a smile, but felt tears in my eyes.

"I just hope we find him," I said, tearing up. 

I didn't want to imagine my life without Johnny anymore.

He was the love of my life. I could feel it.

I just hoped that we'd find him, and he'd still love me back. 

"We'll find him, Ponybaby, we'll get him back," reassured Steve, his hand clutching mine.

I felt my eyelids get heavy with sadness. I closed them, needing to rest.

-

I jolted awake. 

"We are now in Florence, Italy!" said the voice on the overhead in an Italian accent. People on the plane began to clap.

"Is it time to get off?" I asked Steve. He nodded with a small smile.

I blinked a few times. We were in Italy, Johnny's home country. He was somewhere close to me, I could feel it.

"I'm kind of scared," I admitted squeamishly, looking up at Steve, who was now standing up.

"Don't be. This is the week that we find the love of your life back. You're bambino, if you will," he stated. I smiled back.

I just prayed that he was right....