Chapter Thirty // Alcohol

..Before I knew it, I had sprinted all the way to my house. I felt pain shooting through my body, begging for me to stop running, making everything ache. 

When I reached my front door, I pushed it open without a thought of hesitation. I instantly stepped in through the doorway, and then fell over. 

My feet couldn't take the pain anymore. 

I let out a whimper, before I started to sob. 

"Guys! Guys!" I screamed hoarsely, needing attention from the gang. No one was in the living room. 

"Guys!" I screeched, a little louder this time. 

Suddenly, the gang piled in. 

"Ponyboy? What the hell is happening, man?" asked Dally. A cigarette was dangling from his mouth.

I tried to hold back a moan of pain, but I couldn't. Everything hurt too much.

"Where's Steve?" I asked, looking around for him. He was no where to be seen. Everybody's eyebrows shot up. 

"Steve went out looking for you down at the Dingo. Just tell us what's wrong, baby," whispered Soda. He was now kneeling down by me. He reached out to touch my hand, but I immediately pulled it away. 

"No! N- no! I need Steve! G- get me Steve!" I shouted. I began to shake. 

"I'll call Steve," started Darry, concerned. "Two Bit, take Ponyboy upstairs and help hi out. You too, Soda."

Two Bit rushed to my side, and assisted me onto my feet. 

"It's gonna be okay, kid," he whispered in my ear. 

I wanted to tell him how wrong he was. 

-

I was laying in my bed, Two Bit and Sodapop taking care of my cuts. Dally was standing in the doorway, looking down at his feet. Nobody knew what to say. 

Sodapop suddenly put a damp washcloth on one of the cuts on my stomach. 

"Ah!" I hissed, the stinging bothering me. Two Bit gave me a sympathetic look. 

"It's gonna be fine, Ponyboy. Stop squirmin' like a worm, and it won't hurt as much," stated Two Bit. His grey eyes looked worried, yet knowing at the same time. 

Sometimes I forgot that Two Bit got himself into trouble often. 

"It still hurts though," I mumbled, closing my eyes. Dallas huffed. 

"You dildos are cleaning him up wrong! You gotta disinfect the cut!" exclaimed Dal. We all gave him a weird look. 

"Jesus Dally, you needa calm your white ass down!" shouted Two Bit. He was clearly getting frustrated.

For a second, I got a glimpse of his hands. My blood was covering his pale skin. 

I couldn't help but shudder. 

"Ah, can it. Come down stairs and help me find a few things to fix Ponyboy up," stated Dally cooly. Two Bit rolled his eyes, but followed directions. 

I was now left alone with Sodapop starring down at me. 

"What?" I asked him quietly. I saw a few tears roll down his cheeks.

"How come you won't tell me who did this to you, or why? W- why are you telling Steve instead of me?" he started with a stutter. "I thought you told me e- everything."

I got a good look at Soda's face, and suddenly I realized how much I had neglected him recently. 

I used to tell Soda everything, every detail of my life. Now, his eyes looked worried and dull, like he was overworked. His skin was pale, and his hair wasn't greased back like usual. His lips were practically white, too.