Chapter Forty Two // anime gemelle.

I looked down at the ring that Johnny was presenting me with, unable to utter a single word to him. 

Did I want to marry Jonathan Cade? Was I willing to spend the rest of my life with him?

I loved Johnny, I truly did. He was the love of my life, and the light in my universe. He was everything good in the world, and more. He was like my savior in the darkest of times, and my sunshine during the best of them. There was no denying my love for him, or how strong and unbreakable it was. 

But there was a problem; I'm only sixteen. I'm not even an adult yet, or near getting out of high school. 

Was I ready to dedicate my whole life to him? Was I ready to give him all of me, and expect the same thing in return?

I had to say no to him. I just had to reject him. There was no way that I could get married at this age. 

Was I even sure that we were going to last?

I looked into Johnny's amber colored eyes, and I cold swear that I saw something in them. It looked like the deepest love in the world, deeper than the ocean, and higher than any mountain. 

I felt my heart begin to race. I knew I had to answer him.

"Listen, baby, I-" I started. I was cut off.

"It's okay if you say no, I'll understand if you don't want to sposare me," he began. I could see tears in his eyes. "I was so stupido for asking anyways."

I suddenly felt my heart break into a million pieces. 

I knew what I had to do.

"Jonathan Cade, I will be your husband," I stated firmly, watching his reaction. 

I meant it when I said it.

His whole face suddenly lit up like a firework. His skin was glowing, and flushed pink, and his eyes glimmered in the sunlight. A wide smile stretched across his lips.

His sad expression, even if it lasted for a second, made everything ache inside. At that exact moment, I knew that we were meant to be.

"Y- you really mean it?" he stuttered, his mouth agape. I nodded happily. 

"I mean it, I mean it! I'm going to marry you, Johnny!" I exclaimed. Tears began running down his cheeks.

"Ti amo! Ti amo!" he repeated over and over again. "We have to put the anello on your finger!"

I squealed when he said that, joy overtaking me. He took my hand, slipping the silver band onto my ring finger. 

I looked at my hand, and beamed. We're going to get married one day.

"I love you, my wonderful fiance," I proclaimed. He giggled a bit. 

"I knew since day uno that I wanted to marry you," he started. "When we first met, I knew that we were meant to be anime gemelle."

The first conversation we ever had suddenly came back to me. 

The new kid was sitting next to me. He had guts, because every one else seemed to be scared of my existence.

I didn't expect high school to be anything like this.

Two Bit and Steve always complained about it, but I thought that they were over exaggerating to scare me. Now I knew that what they said seemed to be the truth.

"Hello," said the boy next to me. I looked up to him and smiled.

"Hi," I replied. I could see him smile back. "I'm Ponyboy Curtis."

His eyebrows shot up.

"Is that you're real name?" he whispered. I wanted to groan. This always happened.

"Yeah, it is," I replied, bashfully. He was going to hate me.

"I like it. It's originale," he stated. He had an accent, but I couldn't tell where he was from.

"Where are you from?" I asked. He turned a bit pink.

"I'm from Italia. My family just moved here. We're immagrati, immigrants," he said. I bit the inside of my cheek.

"That's cool. I always wanted to go to Italy," I replied. He smiled.

I smiled to myself, thinking about how things were back then. I didn't think that I'd be with Johnny in Italy, engaged. I had absolutely no clue.

It kind of amazed me how things turned out.

"You know, you're the love of my life," I told him. He bit his lip.

"I know, and I wouldn't have it any other way."

He suddenly kissed me, pulling us closer together.

I felt like we had never felt as close.

I suddenly had a question in my head. I pulled away from him.

"How long did you have that ring?" I asked him. He looked down and smiled.

"I bought it a week after we met," he started. "I knew that early on that you were going to be my husband."

I suddenly began to cry my eyes out.