Chapter Forty Four // Pensare

A Week Later...

"How do you feel about being back in Tulsa?" I asked, looking at Johnny. He gripped my hand. 

"I'm not sure, honestly. I feel so preoccupato," he stated, his eyes darting around. I sighed.

Johnny and I had managed to leave Italy the night after the fight with his father. It was a grueling process, but we both knew that we had to leave immediately. Gina said it would be the best thing to do.

Johnny still looked scared, like he wasn't sure what was going to happen next. I could tell that in the few months we had been apart, that things had changed for him. It was probably mortifying to be shipped back to your home country because you were found kissing a boy, and then being expected to marry a girl. 

I don't think I'd be able to take that kind of trauma, either. 

"We don't have to tell them yet if you don't want to," I suggested, feeling anxious. I desperately wanted to tell the gang about our engagement, but I would hide it from them if he really wanted me to.

"No, no," he started. "They are your famiglia, and they deserve to know," he replied. I nodded. 

"You're so brave, Johnnycakes." 

We continued to my house, preparing to break the news to everyone. 

-

"Is anyone home?" I yelled, wanting to see who was present. Johnny, Steve and I had barely stepped through the door when the whole gang came rushing into the room, piling everywhere. 

"You guys are back!" exclaimed Sodapop. He then got a look at Johnny. "And you brought Johnny with you!"

"Oh yeah, Ponyboy is gonna be getting some ass tonight!" yelled Two Bit, clearly excited and a little buzzed. He took a gulp from his beer, before sitting down and laughing. 

"Aw man, y'all better can it!" I laughed in response, taking Johnny's hand. He smiled back at me. 

I suddenly realized that Dallas wasn't in the room. I looked around, but saw no trace of him. Before I could say anything, Steve spoke up.

"Hey guys, where's good, old Dally?" asked Steve, looking around nervously. I saw his hands begin to shake.

Everyone glanced around. 

"He was just here a second ago," muttered Darry, looking confused. I held my breathe. 

What was going on? I thought to myself. 

Suddenly, Dally stepped out from the hallway, looking at everyone. 

He suddenly locked eyes with Steve. 

I felt my breathe hitch.

Before I knew it, Dally ran across the room, talking Steve in a hug. 

"I missed you more than anything," I heard Dallas whisper. Steve smiled a bit. 

"Are you ready to tell them? After all these months, you're finally ready?" asked Steve quietly. It seemed like no one but me could hear them, because the gang was looking at them confused. 

"I've never been more ready in my life," replied Dally, taking Steve's hand.

Before I knew it, they had closed the gap between them, and shared a deep, passionate kiss. 

-

Johnny and I were putting away my belongings, until we heard a knock on the door. 

"Come in!" we both said at the same time, before bursting into laughter. 

The door suddenly swung open, revealing Darry. 

"Hey guys," he started, stepping into the room.

"Hey big brother, what's going on?" I asked, looking him over. He sighed.  

"I just wanted to let you know that Johnny can stay here with us," he began. "I know that it might be weird, but I want him to have a good home for the first time in his life, and I think we can give him that."

I felt tears in my eyes, but Johnny began to sob. 

"Grazie, grazie! Non ti deluderò!" exclaimed Johnny through his tears. He looked incredibly thankful.

"Don't cry, Johnny! We're gonna make sure that you're just as happy as the rest of us," stated Darry. I suddenly got up and wrapped my arms around his waist.

"Thank you for potentially saving him from life on the streets."

-

Johnny and I had gathered everyone in the living room again, wanting to tell them our news.

I had my ring hidden in my back pocket, so no one would see it on my finger.

Everyone was talking amongst themselves in anticipation, wanting to know what we had to say.

"Alright, so, Johnny and I have some exciting news!" I started, looking around. Everyone got silent.

"Please tell me that you didn't get Johnny pregnant," whispered Two Bit. Everyone gave him a strange look. At this point, we weren't sure if he was joking or not. 

"Anyways, are there any guesses?" I challenged. Soda suddenly gave me a wicked look.

"If you're going to tell me that you guys caught AIDS somehow, I'm leaving," he stated. I rolled my eyes, and then laughed.

"No, no. Pensare really hard!" hinted Johnny. I grabbed his hand.

They all looked at each other again.

"We have absolutely no clue, man! Just tell us the news already, before I end up in jail for punching you in the face for boring me," stated Dally. Steve hushed him, but then nodded. 

"Well," I started, giving Johnny a look. I wanted him to join in. 

"We're getting married!" 

I pulled out the ring from my pocket, and put it on my finger. Everyone gasped.

"I can't believe it!" exclaimed Soda, before getting up and wrapping his arms around me. I hugged him back. "My little brother is gonna be a husband!"

"Wait, does that mean that Johnny is still pregnant, or..." Two Bit said, trailing off.

We all couldn't help but laugh and smile.

I don't think any of us have ever been so happy.