Chapter Three // Grande

I walked outside of the school house, when my eye caught something. 

A few feet away from me stood Johnny. He was looking around nervously, and his hair was blowing in the window. 

For some reason, I felt the urge to talk to him. 

Slowly, I walked up to him. The sun was shining bright, and the birds were chirping. I had a type of feeling in my heart, I just didn't know what it was.

It was a good feeling, but I wasn't sure what to call it. It was a bit weird how I already felt like I had a connection to the new Italian immigrant.

Before I knew it, I decided to talk to him.

I walked up to Johnny, and tapped him on the shoulder. He spun around.

"Ponyboy! Come va?" he asked. I smiled at him. 

"I'm good, thank you," I replied. He smiled back. 

"You understand italiano?" he questioned. I shook my head, but then continued to smile.

"Not really, but I know a bit," I stated. Suddenly, his face turned sad.

"I have a problema," he stated. I raised my eyebrows.

"What is it, Johnnycakes?" I blurted out. My cheeks turned red when I realized what I called him.

"I don't know the way to my house," he mumbled. He looked scared, and his sweater was covering his hands. 

"Well, what's your address?" I asked. He looked me in the eyes.

"It's 1312 Bayside Street," he whispered, looking around nervously.

I broke into a smile. 

"Hey, you live on my street!" I exclaimed. He smiled uncertainly. 

"Really? That's grande!" he stated. 

"You just moved in, didn't you?" I asked. He nodded.

"Yeah, we got here yesterday! I've only been in Tulsa for a few ore," he exclaimed. I put my arm around his shoulder. 

"Let me walk you home," I said. He graciously accepted my offer.

We began to walk.

-

Johnny and I were right outside his house. We had had a nice discussion about art. It was nice to find someone who appreciated art just like I did. 

He wasn't like anyone else I ever met. I adored that about him.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow," he stated with a smile. 

"Yeah, I'll be by tomorrow morning to walk you to school," I said. He giggled. I felt my heart rate increase. 

I liked when he giggled. He looked adorable, I thought to myself. 

"You would do that for me? You would walk me to scuola?" he asked. I nodded.

"I would do anything for you, Jonathan," I stated. His cheeks turned pink. 

"Well, I'd better get inside. I'll see you tomorrow! Chao," he said. 

I didn't expect what was coming next.

He leaned over, and gave me a kiss on the cheek. 

Before I could say anything, he had already stepped inside. 

-

When I stepped into my own house, I was smiling from ear to ear. 

I was taken out of my thoughts when someone said something. 

"Hey Pony, what's up? Why do you look so happy?" asked Sodapop. I giggled.

"Oh, no reason. I just had a good day at school," I stated. Steve stepped out of the kitchen. 

"Hey, how come you didn't let me drive you home today?" questioned Steve. He took a seat next to Soda. 

Usually, Steve would drive me to and from school. I knew that he hated me, but I didn't care.

"I became friends with the new neighbor, and I walked him home," I replied. Steve shrugged.

"Is he nice?" asked Soda. I immediately nodded.

"He's the best," I exclaimed. Soda and Steve gave each other a look.

Two Bit walked into the room. 

"You talking about a new girlfriend, Pony?" asked Two Bit. He had only been home for a while, and he was already tipsy. 

"Nah man," I replied. 

I walked upstairs to my room. 

The only thing I had on my mind was the new Italian boy...