17.

C H R I S T I N E

I sighed as I wiped the table. I was back at the diner with Jennifer. Customers flew in, and we were all busy including Catherine who rarely ever work, she usually stays locked up in her small office, sighing papers and whatnot.

New York weather was getting colder, and we are expecting it to snow any day now. Which got me a little bit excited because I really love the snow, I really love how it feels under my feet, between my hands. And New York looks amazing in the winter.

After what felt like days Jennifer and I finally got the chance to sit down and take a break.

Since it was cold outside we decided to sit in the kitchen for heat privileges.

"So..did you and Mathew kiss?" Jennifer's eyebrows wiggled and I almost choked on my own saliva.

"No!! Nothing like that ever happened before! He is my boss!" My eyes were wide and I was blushing.

"You know I took a few psychology courses, I can tell when someone is lying." She smirked and I sighed.

"We never kissed, we were close to but our lips never actually touched. And they will never do! He is my boss. I have to draw a line." I answered.

"I don't care about professional shït! You're meant to be. He looks at you with affection. It's so freaking adorable." She squealed and I rolled my eyes.

"Well..Max looks at you with affection, too!" I smirked and she glanced at me.

"He does not!"

"Yes, he does!!" I chuckled and got up quickly and jogged to the bathroom. I know if I intimated Jennifer enough, she will kill me. She may like to ship people and gossip about them but she hates when I ship her with someone. She says she is a free spirit who doesn't need controlling by a human being.

I did my things and got back out and started working again. Every now and then Jenny would throw me a glance and I would chuckle at her.

■■■

It was in the middle of the night and it was my turn to close the diner tonight. So I cleaned it up a little then I closed and threw the trash out.

I hugged myself as I stood in the bus station. It was freezing out, it's like the bus is intentionally late. I felt like a popsicle.

After what felt like hours the bus finally arrived. There were no empty seats so I stood aside in the end of the bus.

Alert!! Mature content! Might trigger some unpleasant feelings. Read at your own risk.

I was looking outside the window and I felt the presence of someone beside me. I didn't want to look at whoever it was because I got scared and I can smell alcohol on him. His clothes were dirty and torn. He bumped into me hard. At first I thought it was because of the bus but when he bumped into me three more times, I have realised it was intentional. He started rubbing his junk all over my leg but nobody in the bus seem to notice so I slowly walked away from him and stood next to an older man and a girl. I didn't want to glance at him so I kept my head down until I saw him leave the bus and I sighed in relief.

My heart was bumping like crazy and I was sweating like a pig. My hands and legs were shaky and I was a minute away from fainting. I took a deep breath to calm myself down before I start crying in the middle of the bus.

It over now...sorry if I disturbed anyone.

Thanks God my house was near so as soon as the bus stopped, I took off. I ran to the flat and quickly ran up the stairs to my safe apartment. I unlocked the front door and went inside and locked it again.

I leaned on the door and sighed. That was a stressing trip.

My mom seems to be asleep so I quietly changed my clothes and took a quick shower to get rid of his filthy touch. Whoever he was I hope he burns in hell. No girl or woman should feel this way, we are not just bodies. No matter what we wear they still walk up to us and touch us like we have no feelings.

It was in the middle of the winter for God sake!! I was covered. The only skin that was shown were my hands and face. You could barely see my face!! I was wearing a huge scarf!!

I wanted to cry but I was stronger than this, so I did the only reasonable thing to do and that is to go to bed. I threw myself on the bed and hugged the sheets.

My breath were uneven, I wanted to cry but not just because of what happened, because of my mom, my status, my unknown father, my health, I felt self pity. I felt worthless, like a piece of trash. I didn't know why I felt like that but I just do. Maybe it's one of those days when you wish you're still a little girl that has nothing to worry. A little girl who didn't have to worry about work, boys, money or anything else. I wanted to be free from all of this responsibilities but I could never leave my mom like this, not after what she did to me all these years.

She could have left me, just like how my father did but she didn't. She fed me, clothed me, I never felt like I was poor or homeless. She made good money and she put me in good schools and I could never thank her enough.

I want to build her a castle, I want to make her as comfortable as she can be. I want her to be happy and proud. Proud of what we had achieved together.

I want to see her healthy and happy, is it to much to ask?!