o n e

"I'm here to watch the night train." We both managed to say at the same time.

-----------

Dedicated to @Stylinizer for making the wonderful soundtrack that is attached in the external link :)

I looked suspiciously at him and he looked suspiciously at me. I had my eyebrows raised in confusion and he also had his raised in confusion. From our expressions, it was as if I was looking in a mirror.

I know that it seems stupid to think that nobody else would know about the train tracks hidden behind the trees, but I've always hoped it was my little secret.

"I, um, didn't think anybody else came here?" He interrupted me from my thoughts with his low and somewhat fragile tone.

"That makes two of us."

He looked down to the ground and kicked a rock with his foot before responding back, "It seems as though we're in a bit of a predicament..." He trailed off as he brought his gaze back to mine.

Considering where I was, it seemed so strange to be looking into brown eyes instead of the baby blue eyes that always accompanied me here.

"Just so you know I'm not leaving before that train comes." I put a hand on my hip to try and make myself seem more assertive than I probably was.

"Neither am I." Once again this mysterious boy reflected my appearance by putting a hand on his hip as well.

We managed to stand there and stare at each other for at least three minutes. Neither one of us breaking eye contact nor blinking. Without even knowing it we had started a staring contest and I was determined to win.

I could see him start to struggle because his eyes started to twitch and they started to fill with tears. I smirked at the thought that he was about to cave. With one blow of the wind his eyes shut closed and he groaned in disappointment.

"Ha! I win, you lose. Time for you to go."

"What? No that's not how it works. We weren't even competing for the rights to stay." He argued.

"We may not have said it out loud, but I was surely thinking it."

"Oh I'm sorry I must've missed that thought because I don't have the ability to read minds."

"How could you not have read that thought? I expected more from you." Okay, now I was just messing with the kid. Maybe he'll get fed up with my nonsense and decide to leave on his own.

"Nope. I think I was absent the day they taught telepathy." Apparently, he has a sense of humor and is able to go along with my nonsense. Dammit.

"I guess so. Your unfortunate absence has led to you losing our staring contest meaning you have to leave. Sorry."

He slowly closed the space between us by walking towards me, and by the time he was mere inches from me he whispered, "You can keep trying babe, but I'm not leaving." His voice was as smooth as velvet, and it caused shivers to run up and down my spine.

I put out my hand and gently pushed him away from me, "Ever heard of personal space?"

"Ever heard of goosebumps? Because you're covered in them." Now it was his turn to smirk because he was aware of the effect his words had on me.

There are very few moments in my life when I'm at a complete loss for words, and unfortunately this was one of those times. I had no response to his good comeback and I hated him for that.

He chose to speak up again once he noticed that I was not capable of forming words, "I think I hear the train, so if you don't mind I'm going to go see it."

He started to walk away from me when I finally managed to come up with something to say. I ran after him and tried one more time to get him to leave.

I got in front of him and stopped him dead in his tracks, "Look, this is supposed to be my place to escape the world for a little while, and I really don't appreciate you invading my space."

"Too bad. This just happens to be my place to escape the world as well, so it looks like you're just going to have to deal with it."

Once again he walked away from me and towards the train that I now knew was almost here. The whistle was blaring and if I didn't move now I was going to miss the train. Obviously, it was completely hopeless to get him to leave, so I'll just have to deal with him for now.

I caught up to him and we both sat down cross-legged adjacent to the train tracks. I looked at him from the corner of my eye and I swear I saw a genuine smile spread across his face.

I turned my attention from him to the large form of transportation that was now heading towards us. There was something unexplainable about coming here and sitting so close to the tracks. It gives me a feeling of invincability that I have come to crave almost everyday.

I always thought that I only shared this feeling with my ex-boyfriend, but it has now come to my attention that we are not alone. There may be plenty more people that crave this feeling, but I'm only aware of the one sitting beside me right now.

I close my eyes in order to let the sensation take over my body. The ground starts to rumble as the train gets closer and closer. The whistle rings through my ears and before I know it the train has come and gone in a matter of seconds.

I keep them closed even after the train is long gone just to let the feeling remain for awhile longer. However, once I open them I realize that the boy that was once beside me is now gone.

I should be happy that he's gone now because he was kind of a pain in the neck before, but instead I feel a sudden urge of emptiness.