t h r e e

I met up with Jessica after school and the two of us walked down to the parking lot to meet up with the rest of our group. We all hang around for a little while because we don't get a chance to see everybody during the school day. Unfortunately, not all of us have classes together.

When we arrive to our cars, there are only two other people there instead of the usual seven or eight.

"Hey Claire. Where is everybody?" I asked my beautiful best friend whom I've known since elementary school. Her long, luscious brown locks were flowing in the wind and her electric blue eyes were shining in the sunlight.

"Everybody went down to the pep rally, but Jake and I decided to stick around because we can't stand all of that school spirit shit."

Claire and Jake had been going out ever since freshman year. They became the closest of friends and soon found out that they shared intense feelings for each other. Out of our group of friends they've been dating the longest. Two strong years and they've only broken up twice.

"Speaking of school spirit..." Jake muttered. There was a hint of disgust in his dark brown eyes and I suddenly knew the cause of this; Ella was walking towards us.

"Hi guys!" She is a very cheerful person and is full of school spirit. Probably because she's the head cheerleader. That's just one more reason for me to hate her.

All of my friends absolutely despised her since she was now dating Luke. I loved the fact that they cared for me so much, but they could at least be decent enough to say hello to her. None of them said a word to her, so I decided to be the polite one.

"Ella." I said flatly.

"Aren't you guys coming to the pep rally?" She asked, her tone full of curiousity.

This time Claire decided to speak up, "No thanks. We don't really give a damn about some stupid pep rally. So we'd really appreciate it if you took your pom poms and scurried on outta here."

Jake and Jessica broke out into fits of laughter and almost doubled over from the pain of laughing so hard. I just stood there trying my hardest not to join them.

"Claire don't you have anything better to do than be a bitch to my girlfriend." Luke suddenly appeared out of nowheres, but he obviously heard the conversation.

"Well excuse me Lucas, but last time I checked you're not the boss of me. Besides I have a right to treat her like that." Claire had a huge attitude and most people knew better than to challenge her.

"No you don't Claire." Luke looked towards me and back to Claire before continuing, "Ella has done nothing wrong, so if you wanna be a bitch to someone; than be a bitch to me."

I swear I could see smoke coming out of Claire's ears she was so mad. "Fine. I'll be a bitch to you Hemmings because you sure as hell deserve it for how you treated Taylor!" She yelled.

"Claire! That's enough." I warned her not to take this any further.

"No it's not enough Tay! He's a jerk for how he ended things with you, and he's an even bigger jerk for going out with Ms. Priss here only weeks later!" She was full on shouting now and has gained the attention of everyone else in the parking lot.

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about so just shut up!" Luke growled.

"Oh I don't do I? You don't know what you're talking about Luke! You don't know how Taylor felt after you left her. You don't know how many times she cri-"

"Claire..." My voice was shaky as I desperately tried to stop her from admitting that I cried myself to sleep because of Luke.

I know she could see the desperation and hurt in my eyes, so she shut her mouth and figuratively locked it and threw away the key.