f o u r t e e n

Calum's P.O.V.

"Hey, Mikey can I ask you a question?" I asked hoping to steal Michael's attention away from the video game that he was deeply engrossed in.

"Yeah, uh huh sure." He muttered. Even though I could tell he wasn't fully paying attention I decided to ask him anyways.

"Have you ever kissed a girl and had it feel...," I fumbled for words trying to think of the correct term, "magical."

I must've taken him by surprise because he froze in place and slowly put down his controller before turning to me. "Magical?"

"Um, yeah." I averted his gaze from pure embarrassment. I kind of regretted asking such a stupid question.

"You're not talking about the girl from the party, are you?"

"Her name is Taylor, and yes I'm talking about her." I snapped. Who else would I possibly be talking about? It's not like I've talked to Mikey about any other girl besides Taylor.

"Woah, calm down Cal." He put his hands up in surrender while giving me a sympathetic smile.

"I'm sorry Mike. I didn't mean to snap at you, it's just that.." I trailed off and started playing with my hands in my lap.

"You like her?" He finished for me.

I anxiously bit my lip and slowly nodded my head in agreement. I'm pretty sure he already knew that I liked her considering I talk about her all the time, but this is the first time I've actually admitted it.

"Does she like you?"

"I sure hope so because after that kiss I can't stop thinking about her."

"You couldn't stop thinking about her before the kiss." He reasoned.

"Well, yeah but before I thought that she didn't like me that way. Now I'm staring to think that maybe she actually does."

He put his hands on my shoulders and looked me straight in the eyes, "Cal, the kiss was a dare. Not to be a buzz kill but there's a chance that it meant nothing to her."

"But we kissed again at the ice cream shop." I carefully removed his hands from my shoulders, and got up to go get a drink from the fridge.

He was quick to follow me and to give me yet another buzz kill statement. "Okay, but you know maybe she was just caught up in the moment. You said she had drank some?"

"She only had one beer so if you're trying to say she was drunk; she wasn't."

"Look, I know you might think I'm being a horrible best friend by not agreeing with you."

It's like he read my mind.

"But, I'm actually being a great best friend."

I raised my eyebrows in confusion. How was he being a great best friend by feeding me all of these depressing statements?

"Oh yeah, define great best friend." I challenged.

"One who simply looks out for his best friend. A guy who doesn't want to see his best friend get hurt again."

I took a sip from my root beer as I thought about his reason for being so protective.

"She's not like her." I stated while placing my soda on the counter, and resting my hands on it as well.

"How do you know?"

"Trust me, I know so drop it." I snapped once again trying to defend Taylor.

"I'll take your word, Cal. But if she ever does anything remotely similar to-"

I cut him off before he could say anything more on the subject, "I said drop it Mike."