t w e n t y

"Are you getting hungry?" Calum asked, still swinging our intertwined hands back and forth between us.

"Actually," I began just as my stomach started to growl from serious hunger. "yes I am."

Apparently, the growling was loud enough to be heard by ears besides mine because Calum started to chuckle slightly. He stopped suddenly and started looking around at the various food stands surrounding us.

"Hm, what do we have here...," He trailed off as he started reading off the names of the different foods sold at the festival.

Halfway through the list he mentioned a delicious treat that I haven't had in forever, and was now seriously craving. My eyes widened at the mere mention of it which caused him to stop mid sentence and raise his eyebrows in curiousity.

"Hear something you like?" He questioned.

"Two words. Funnel. Cake." I stated simply.

He smiled widely at me and I couldn't help but question his actions. "What?"

"Perfect choice. I'll go get us one and you wait here."

Before I had a chance to protest he let go of my hand and took off running towards the food stand. I felt a sudden chill overtake my body at the absence of his presence.

I decided to take a seat on a nearby hay bale while I waited for him to return. Just as I sat down, I heard footsteps come up behind me.

I swiftly turned around to reveal Luke standing right next to the hay bale. I groaned ever so slightly as he took a seat beside me.

"Where's your boyfriend?" He murmured.

"He's not my boyfriend," I replied without taking one look in his direction.

He let out a small chuckle at my statement and I quickly snapped my head towards him. "What's so funny?"

"Nothng."

"No, please enlighten me," I bitterly replied.

"Well, I just assumed...," He trailed off, shoving his hands into his jean pockets.

"Assumed what?"

"I just assumed you guys were together."

"Well, we're not," I stated as I looked back out towards the funnel cake stand.

"So, what are you guys then? Friends with benefits?"

I widened my eyes in shock as I slowly turned my attention back to him. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me," He muttered just above a whisper as he focused intently on his breath in the cold, brisk air.

"Are you seriously accusing me of stooping so low?" I challenged while crossing my arms for both emphasis and warmth.

"Well are you?" He completely avoided my question and I couldn't believe that we were even having this conversation.

"That's none of your business," I replied while standing up from the hay bale.

"So, you are then," His comment came out as a statement instead of a question.

"No, we're not!" I exclaimed.

He casually removed himself from his seat and brushed off his jeans before walking towards me. "Well, you're bound to be." His breath was hot on my face and I shivered from his closeness.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Don't be stupid. He hasn't asked you out yet, so obviously he's only looking to get in your pants."