t h i r t y - e i g h t

All that I can see is a sliver of light coarsing through the thin material of a grey blindfold. In normal circumstances this might seem like a very strange occurrence, except this is anything but normal. Especially when this situation includes none other than my very, very odd boyfriend, Calum Hood. 

He literally showed up at my front door at five thirty this morning with the brightest of smiles on his face. No questions were allowed as I was lead out of my house and straight into his mother's car, that of which he is borrowing for today's mysterious activities. I wasn't even allowed to change out of my slightly embarassing pajamas and fuzzy slippers. 

"Are we there yet?" I ask out loud, even though I can't tell where we are at the moment. I feel as though we've been driving for hours, which we may have, and I'm becoming restless. 

"I can't tell you," he replies. I attempt to reach my hands up to remove the blindfold, but he stops me immediately. It's pretty impressive since he should be focusing solely on the road and not on me. Although this doesn't surprise me because he always seems to sneak glances at me every now and then when we drive anywhere. 

Since I know pestering him won't get me any further, I decide to remain quiet in my seat. I'm at least ninety percent positive that he's not going to murder me, so I should be able to relax a bit. 

My head nods along to the various songs on the radio, and the moment a certain song starts I reach over and turn up the volume. The beginning chords come through the speakers and the first verses make my heart swell. 

I've been thinkin' bout you all day baby 
waitin' on that sun to go down
whatcha say I pick you up after work
slide over, we'll slip out to the outskirts of town
got a blanket and a fifth of comfort 
a little something to knock off the edge
it's supposed to get a little cool tonight 
looks like I'm gonna have to hold you tight, yeah.

My lips mouth along to the familiar words with no actual noise coming out. I don't mind singing along in the car with Calum, but something about the atmosphere causes me to remain quiet. However, once the first round of lines is almost over I hear something else along with Jason Aldean's voice. 

Bout a mile off old mill road
in that spot nobody knows
park the truck and we take off running 
hurry up, girl I hear it coming
got a moon and a billion stars
sound of steel and old box cars
the thought of you is driving me insane
come on baby let's go listen to the night train.

Calum's angelic voice sings along to the words, slightly louder than the radio, but just as perfect, maybe even better, than Jason Aldean's. Of course there is no comparing to the wonderful voice of the country hunk, but I have a teensy tiny soft spot for the boy next to me, and his voice shines out above everyone elses. 

Every now and then I can hear a slight crack in his voice when he tries to hit the high notes, and something tells me he's really getting into it. When he normally sings, the cracks only come out when he's being silly, or when he's becoming slightly emotional over the meaning of a song. A big part of me is routing for the latter option. 

"You alright over there, Cal?" I ponder. It slightly irritates me that I can't make out his facial expression because of the stupid blind fold. 

"Just peachy." 

"Lovely song isn't it?" Hopefully I can try and get it out of him by asking further questions. 

"Sure is." 

I sigh at his short responses. Clearly, he doesn't want this conversation to go very far, so I decide to drop the topic for now. I turn my attention to the window, and pretend to visualize the pretty scenery going by.