t w o

I absolutely dread having to go to my wonderful Pre-Calc class for two reasons. One being the fact that it's complete and utter torture because I've never been good at math, and two being the fact that I have to walk by Luke and Ella on the way there.

Unfortunately for me, Ella's first period is right around the corner from mine and the two of them meet up every morning right outside of her class. They're always standing there holding hands, and it makes me want to puke. No matter how hard I try to act as if they aren't there; it's impossible.

It's a lot easier when Luke's back is to me because that way I don't have to look him in the eyes, but I don't necessarily enjoy having to look at Ella's flawlessness. She has perfect red hair and gorgeous green eyes. Her skin is fair and her face is covered in freckles. I have a lot of self-esteem issues as it is, so it doesn't help knowing Luke has replaced me with a goddess.

This morning Ella's back is to me which obviously means that Luke has the advantage to see me coming towards them. I keep my attention towards anything other than him; the lockers, the floor, other students, etc.

As I'm about to pass them, I bring my gaze to him and at that exact moment he looks back at me. This exchange lasts for about two seconds before he returns his gaze back to his girlfriend.

I let out a breath that I wasn't aware I was holding as I turn the corner and enter into my class. Just one look from him and all of my feelings for him come rushing back. I'm supposed to be getting over him and he's not helping at all.

---

My first and second periods drag on for what seems like forever, so I'm more than happy to finally be in my free period. Last semester, I attempted to take an AP Biology class, but it turns out that I am so not mentally capable of taking such a high level class. So, after a couple of meetings with the principal my mother was successful in getting him to switch me out.

I am now an Office Assisstant along with another girl who also dropped out of that class. We've only been in school for about a month now, but I've only been in this class for a couple of days. I'm still getting used to it and I have to say that it's really enjoyable.

We do have to go around and do errands for teachers and such, but most of the time we get to relax and do homework. We also get to go to whatever lunch we want to which really comes in handy for when I skip breakfast.

I found out that one of my best friends is in the second lunch period, so I decide to go to that one today. She told me that she sits with a group of people from her Calculus class, and she doesn't really talk that much to them. Let's just say that she was more than happy that I agreed to come to her lunch.

The minute I walk into the cafeteria I spot the short and blonde curly hair of my best friend, Jessica. She brings her lunch, so she was sat at the table by herself while the others were off buying their food.

"Jess!" I called out to her in order to get her attention. I walked up to the table and took a seat beside her.

"Hey Taylor!" She had a huge grin on her face and I knew she was glad to see me.

"So, who all do you sit with?"

"Well, there's one other girl and four guys. I'm pretty sure you'll recognize them." She looked away from me as she said the last part. I followed her gaze to one of the guys walking towards us, and immediately frowned.

I turned back to her and whispered, "Luke? Jess, why didn't you tell me that Luke was in your calculus class." Even though I was whispering she was well aware that I was upset about this.

"I'm sorry Tay. I knew that you wouldn't want to come if I told you, and I really wanted you here."

As much as I really don't want to deal with Luke right now, I know that I can't abandon my friend at a time like this.

"It's alright. I'll be okay as long as he doesn't talk to me or even look at me." I warned.

He sat down across from Jessica and stared down at his lunch tray for a minute before finally speaking up.

"Um, hey Taylor.." Well, so much for not talking to me. I didn't want to be rude, so I responded to him but I was not going to look at him. No, no no not this time Hemmings.

"Hi Luke."

Thankfully, the rest of the group joined us before our awkward encounter could become any more awkward. Jess was right because I definitely recognized this whole group.

"Hey guys."

"Hey Taylor!" They chorused.

I didn't speak to Luke again, but I could tell that he was stealing glances at me every now and then. It was really hard to avoid looking at him because there were only seven of us, and we were all sat across from each other. Well, except for me. There wasn't anyone across from me, but I didn't really mind. This allowed me to spread my long legs and I could rest my feet on the seat.

---

Once the bell rang to signal lunch was over everyone got up to return to class except for Jessica and I. We decided to stay for a couple more minutes because I wasn't done with my biscuit yet. I definitely wasn't going to waste such a delicious piece of heaven.

"I really am sorry Tay." Jessica blurted out.

"Jess I promise it's okay. I'm not mad at you."

"So, um, are you going to keep coming to this lunch? I'll totally understand if you do-" I cut her off before she had a chance to finish.

"I'll keep coming. Besides if I dont, then Luke will know it's because of him and I can't let him have the satisfaction."

She responded with another huge grin plastered across her face, and I saw a sparkle of joy in her blue eyes. We finally got up to leave and promised to see each other after school.

---

I walked back into the office and into the back room where I sat along with the other girl, Emily. As I walked through the door, I noticed that there was somebody sitting in my seat. Even though his back was to me, there was no mistaking his identity. I would know him anywhere.

"Hey Tay. You know Luke right?" Emily cheerfully greeted me. Of course there was no way for her to know my past with Luke, so she couldn't catch onto the tense atmosphere that had taken over the room.

"Unfortunately." I muttered under my breath.

He rose from his seat slowly and carefully turned his attention from Emily to me. He had a sympathetic smile on his face, and once again his blue eyes were causing feelings I'm trying so hard to get rid of.

"Taylor can I talk to you?"

I didn't want to cause a scene in front of Emily, so I smiled at her and motioned for Luke to follow me out into the little hallway that was behind the office.

"What do you want Luke?" I asked immediately.

"Look, I know you're upset with me about everything, but I just want you to know that we can still be friends."

Upset? He had no idea how much he hurt me and how much it killed me to just look at him.

Before I had a chance to respond, he continued, "I also know that you're uncomfortable being at lunch with me and-" For the second time today I managed to cut somebody off.

"No, Luke you don't know anything about me. You don't know whether I'm upset with you or not. You don't know whether I'm uncomfortable being around you. Stop acting like you know me because you don't." My temper was increasing more and more as the time passed by.

When the conversation started, Luke and I had been a good distance away from each other. As it progressed, this distance was becoming smaller and smaller and I wasn't liking that.

He stepped towards me and reached out his hand to caress my cheek "Taylor we dated for a long time I'm pretty sure I know you." He reasoned.

I turned away from his gentle touch. "You knew me then, but you don't know me now." I barely managed to let these words fall from my lips before a tear escaped from my eye.

"Taylor..." His voice was so low and fragile that I just couldn't take it anymore. I turned away from him and walked back into the office without looking back.