n i n e t e e n

I took a quick glance over my shoulder to see who the voice belonged to, and was met with the woman who acted as a second mother to me.

"Hi Liz," I replied cheerfully as I took a step towards her. She had her arms wide open and I gladly walked right into her hug.

Once we pulled away, she gently grabbed me by my elbows and took a moment to take in my appearance. "You haven't changed one bit."

I smiled slightly at her words because honestly I wasn't sure if I should take that as a compliment or not. "Thank you, Liz. How long has it been?"

I tried to think back to the last time I saw Luke's mom, and remembered that I haven't seen her since the night of our breakup.

"Too long," She sweetly replied, giving me a sad smile that reminded me too much of Luke.

A small silence fell between us as I rememberd Calum was standing awkardly behind us.

"Oh, Liz this is Calum. Cal, this is Liz Hemmings, Luke's mom." I gestured between the two as they shook hands.

"It's lovely to meet you Calum."

"It's lovely to meet you as well Mrs. Hemmings."

"Please, call me Liz. I feel that Mrs. Hemmings is far too formal and makes me feel like an old lady," She stated with a small chuckle. I remember her giving me the same statement when I first met her. God, it feels like such a long time ago when I first went over to Luke's house.

I snapped out of my momentary trip down memory lane by Calum awkwardly clearing his throat. I glanced over to him to see that he was fidgeting with the oversized stuffed penguin.

"Um, we should probably get going," I muttered to Liz, hoping she wouldn't mind our conversation being cut short.

"Oh yes, don't mind me. I'm sorry sweetie it's just been so long I couldn't help but interrupt."

"It's alright I understand."

I looked at Calum to give him a sweet smile and when I turned back to Liz, she was frantically looking around. I assume she's looking for whoever accompanied her here. I'm really hoping that she came here with Luke's dad, but apparently the universe doesn't like me very much.

I turn to the same direction that Liz is looking, and spot Luke walking towards us with his hands stuffed into his jean pockets. Even from a slight distance I can tell he is nervously pulling at his lip ring. He locks eye contact with me and takes a deep breath just as he reaches us.

"Mom, what are you doing?" He hesitantly asks.

"I was just saying hello to Taylor," She reassures him.

He looks between us, lips pursed in a straight line, eyebrows knit together, and hands still shoved in his pockets. "Okay," He says disbelievingly.

"She was just introducing me to her friend Calum," She gestured back to where Cal stood.

Luke looked -- more like glared -- at Calum clutching the stuffed penguin. He then returned his attention back to me, and glanced down at the small turtle resting in my hands.

I assume he's processing these two things in that little head of his, trying to put the two together. "Mom, come on let's go. They probably want to be left alone," He muttered.

"Right. Well, it was great to see you Taylor," She pulled me in for another hug and when she let go she continued, "And it was very nice to meet you Calum."

"You too," Calum and I said in unison.

Liz smiled towards the two of us before grabbing ahold of Luke's arm and walking off. Before Luke turned around, he gave me an identical smile to his mom's; a forced sympathetic smile.