f o r t y - o n e

After we got back to school, all of us were already drained over the final exams coming up, so we decided to throw a party to let loose. At first it started out with Calum, Michael, Claire, Luke, and I, but somehow along the way it turned out to be our entire junior class. They're not kidding when they say word travels fast in the high school hallways. 

I had no idea so many people were going to show up until the night of the actual party. We decided to have it at Claire's family lakehouse since it was gigantic. However, we thought the five of us could go crazy in the giant space without feeling crowded. Well, it turns out that all that extra space was filled to the brim, leaving no corner unoccupied. 

I began to grow suspicious at the third doorbell ring, since Claire and I were already there, Luke showed up after, and Mikey and Cal were the last to show. At the sudden noise, I slowly walked over to the front door and opened it to reveal Brad and some of his buddies. They were hooping and hollering, which only caused me to believe they were a little bit tipsy. 

Once they entered the house, without an invitation, I immediately turned to Luke. Somehow I knew he would be the one who let the information slip. He simply shrugged his shoulders in response and turned towards the kitchen and began conversing with the uninvited guests. 

"What the hell? What are they doing here?" Claire asked from behind me, scaring me at her sudden appearance.

"I have no idea," I replied slowly, never taking my eyes off of Luke and the rowdy guys. 

We didn't know what to do since we couldn't just throw them out. Brad and his friends are a rough crowd to argue with, so we simply let it go. However, it was an instant mistake once the doorbell rang for the fourth time. 

One after the other, the doorbell just kept on ringing, and eventually I just gave up and left the front door wide open. Crowds of people crossed the threshold to the lake house so many times that I lost count at how many people were now inside. 

"My parents are going to kill me if they find out about this. I told them we were having a little gathering. If they find out I lied to them...," Claire trailed off as her eyes grew wide in concern. I tried my best to comfort her by saying nothing will go wrong as long as we stay positive. 

It certainly would've been nice if the universe could've been on my side for this one, but apparently I screwed it over one too many times. The moment Jake walked through the door, I knew we were done for. 

Luckily, Michael had Claire's attention at the moment, so I took the chance to confront Jake before he caused any issues. 

"What are you doing here?" I stepped right in front of his path, stopping him from getting any closer to my best friend. 

"I'm here to party. Just like every other person in this house," he replied. He attempted to walk past me, but I stepped right in front of him again. There was no way I was allowing this prick to stay here any longer. 

"We don't want any trouble, Jake, so why don't you find another party to crash." 

"I'm not crashing it. Damn, don't be such a killjoy, Taylor." He leaned down so that he was eye level with me before he began speaking. "Have a drink. Lighten up a bit."

The scent of his foul breath was enough to inform me that he's already started the fun. All the more reason to kick him out of the house.

"What's going on here?" Calum asked, suddenly appearing at my side. He rested his hand on my back causing me to calm down just a bit. 

"Nothing," I state. 

"Actually, your girlfriend here is being a little bitch and won't let me into the party," Jake said, his eyes narrowed in my direction. I can't even describe the amount of hatred I have for him.