CHAPTER FOUR

Morgana woke up in the room that the guards put her in. 

But something was wrong.

She didn't remember anything.

She knew that she was 14, and she knew that she had a family, but she couldn't remember their names, or what they looked like, or even her own name. And the more she thought about it, she became worried that she had lost her mind. Her heart was in her throat. She was panicking. She didn't know why she was here, or why there were needle-like holes decorating her arm or why she was alone. She wanted someone to come and tell her why to all her questions.

And that man came in the form of Dr Zola. He was accompanied by two armed guards. Morgana didn't know why. She thought things were peaceful here. She didn't realise there was something dangerous among themselves.

"Well, you must be confused," the man asked. Morgana remembered that his name was Zola, but that was all.

"I am, Zola," she said innocently. The man in front of her made a confused face. "Are you as well?"

"She's not ready. It wasn't strong enough. Do it again." He was talking to someone outside. Suddenly, two men came into the room and grabbed Morgana. She screamed, because she didn't know what was happening. She was dragged down the dark corridor to a room, with a chair and a machine hanging around it. She thought she recognised this place before. She thought this was familiar, but she didn't know why.

"Who am I?" Morgana cried out. "Why can't I remember anything?" Nobody listened to her cries as they strapped her down on the chair. Morgana struggled, but she received a slap on the side of her face. So she stopped. She was at ease. Maybe these people were going to tell her everything she wanted to know. But why was she in restraints then and held against her will? Something didn't add up.

"Wait. I want to talk to her," Zola said. She looked over to him. His face was one of disgust. Had she failed him somehow? He seemed like such a nice man. How could she have done something to upset him. "What do you remember?"

"What about?"

"Anything!" the man roared at her. Tears began to well in Morgana's eyes. The man took out a notepad and began jotting things down on it.

"Did I lose my memory?" she asked, her face turning white.

Zola decided to play along. "Yes. You got hit by a car. This machine is going to ... give them back. But what do you remember. About anything?"

"I'm 14. I think. And ... I have a family. A mum, a dad and four brothers. No. Two brothers. I can't remember their names. I know your name is Zola. That's all."

"Interesting..." Zola hummed. He took notes in his notepad. "Not as bad as I thought we'd done M."

"M? Is that my name?"

"It's my pet name for you." Zola looked up at her. "No more questions." He moved behind her so she couldn't see him. She began to panic again. "This is going to hurt a lot M. You'll need to wear this." Two tough mouth guards were placed in Morgana's mouth and the machine was turned on.

Zola and his men went to another room. "It normally works the first time. What went wrong?" He slammed his fist against a cabinet before cradling it when he realised that his hand was sore. And bleeding.

"The calculations were all correct. Maybe she needs a little more serum than Soldier did to wipe her memory," a brave guard offered.

Zola sighed. "True. But it will work this time. I can feel it. She can't walk away from this twice without it working. She just can't. It hasn't been done before."

Morgana's screams erupted through the whole building. The Winter Soldier even heard them. He felt more guilty for bringing her into this mess, but there was nothing he could have done to stop it. He sat back in his cell and awaited further instructions and wondered why he wasn't being frozen at this moment in time.