CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Cosima was trapped - trapped between her thoughts in her mind, unconscious. 

Thoughts ran past her. Some were of killing the Avengers, actually, the majority were. Some were to do with Hydra, and some more distant and unreachable. 

But these thoughts seemed to be shaping Cosima. She felt the urge that once she woke up, she needed to kill the Avengers, just as Ultron had told her. But Cosima knew she shouldn't think this, but she couldn't help it.

Then, thoughts of how to kill the Avengers flashed before her. Cosima tried to shove them away, but the more she did this, the more they crowded around her, pinning her down.

She needed to escape. She needed to wake up.

Cosima told herself to wake up. She tried opening her eyes and holding her breath, but she remained motionless. It was as if some dark force was keeping her this way.

Then Cosima started to panic. What if the Avengers had put her in a medical coma - for the safety of everyone? What if this was the state in which she would remain until she died. She would never find her family. Never find out what happened to Soldier. Never find out how the Avengers would do against Ultron and his army. 

Cosima could feel her body start to inhale and exhale rapidly. Was she hyperventilating? Possibly, I mean, no one wants to think these thoughts. Maybe that was the key to waking up from whatever form she was trapped in.

Cosima kept thinking about things she would miss if she never woke up. Her abilities. She had come so far. She could do so much more than she could ever dream, and even if she never talked about them much, Cosima really enjoyed her wings. She could fly, something which most people only ever dream of. She could fight in the air - like a human helicopter. She could do anything that she set her mind too.

But only if she woke up. Cosima could feel herself waking, and she eased herself into the living and breathing world again. Cosima tried to wriggle and open her eyes. She tried to let the light break through.

And then it did.

But Cosima's thoughts were dark. She saw each Avenger, and a way to kill them. Cosima tried to get a grip on these thoughts, but it wasn't working. Her body tried to stand up, but Cosima regained full control of one arm, and she wasn't going to let her body to take it back. Soon, she regained control over one leg, her other arm and her other leg too. She could now think for herself as well, instead of thinking the evil thoughts that Ultron portrayed in her mind.

Cosima sat, fully awake and fully in control.

But there was a problem. She was attached to a wall. A chain wrapped around her waist and separate chains for her wings. The Avengers didn't trust her. Cosima's heart dropped.

It was easy to see why. Cosima wouldn't trust herself either. She was like a monster. In her right mind one minute, but after ten words, she was easily influenced by anyone to do anything. She was a liability to the team - and a big one at that. She had no place in the Avengers and she knew it. She always knew it.

She had given up hope on the Avengers when a door opened and someone turned the lights on. It was Cap. Cosima couldn't bring herself to speak, but Cap did the talking.

"Cosima? Are you ... you?"

Cosima nodded. 

"Show me that you're the Cosima I know."

"We ... we talked. At Clint's house ... about our pasts." Cosima was regaining her words. "We talked about Soldier, or Bucky as you called him."

Cap pressed a button on the wall and the chains on Cosima fell to the ground. Cosima tried to stand, but slid back down to the ground. Cap helped her up. "Things are bad out there," Cap said. "We need as many on our side as we can have. Are you in?"

Cosima didn't need to think about her answer.

"Yes."