CHAPTER EIGHT

Cosima woke up in her room. The events from the previous night flooded back into her mind. She saw the faces of the people she had killed. Memories came back as she started to cry loudly. The doubts in her head were confirmed in her mind - she was a freak.

She brought her wings around her front and began to tear them with whatever was in the room she was in. She still had her guns on her. She took them out and began shooting at her wings. But the bullets would bounce off them. She thrust herself against one of the walls and sat down in a heap. She was a monster, a freak and something that wasn't meant to be.

Questions built up in her mind. Zola had said that she was given to Hydra as a child, but why couldn't she remember her childhood? Had they done something to her? And had she always had wings? And why did she always feel something moving within her?

Armed guards arrived in her room, pointing guns at Cosima. She became a little scared - a new emotion for her. Zola strode into the room behind the guards.

"What did you do to me?" Cosima yelled. "Why am I a monster?"

Zola started walking close to Cosima but she backed away into a corner. She wanted nothing to do with this place any longer. She wanted nothing to do with Hydra, who had seemed to make her life a misery. "My dear child, let me explain..." Zola began. He was inches from Cosima. "What questions do you have?"

"What did you do to me? Why can't I remember my childhood?"

Zola wondered what lie she would believe when she was this angry. "You fell. About a year ago. You were flying in the facility when your wings gave up. It took weeks for you to wake up again and regain full strength. One of the side effects of the fall must be not remembering your childhood."

Cosima pinned Zola up against the wall with her outstretched wing. "Liar!" she yelled at him. "You told me you had made me new and cleansed me. You told me I was born again!" Rage consumed Cosima and she gripped Zola's throat tighter. Armed guards starting firing at her wings, but it proved no use as her wings were bulletproof. 

"Don't shoot her," Zola managed to say. "We need her."

"Why? Why do you really need me?" Zola wouldn't answer. "Tell me!" Cosima roared, using her other wing to pin Zola's arm against the wall. He cried out in pain. "Answer the monster you've created!"

"Put me down then," Zola said, his face turning a slight shade of blue. Cosima obeyed. She knew he had all the answers that nobody else in this facility knew. She had to know. However, it meant that Zola was in control of the situation, and meant he was winning the power struggle.

"Do you want to know what we did to you?" Zola asked, staring at Cosima in her eyes. "Do you want to know the torture we put you through? The pain and suffering that we made you sit through?" Cosima nodded, unsure of what Zola meant. Zola gave a nod, but she didn't know to whom. She suddenly went unconscious. 

---

Thoughts swirled around Cosima's head. She needed to wake up. She had to. So she opened one eye slowly. It shrunk away as the bright light overhead turned on. She opened both her eyes. She went to rub them. She could not. She looked down at her hands. They were strapped to a metal armrest with leather. Her feet were in the same situation. She went to yell when something flickered to life on the wall in front of her.

A little girl, much smaller than Cosima, was lying hunched over on the ground of a cell. But Cosima recognised the cell. It was her cell. It was her room. Then she saw Zola walking into the room with some armed guards. "This was you," Zola's voice said. He was behind her in the room. He sensed it. 

"It's not. I look completely different," Cosima said. She didn't understand.

"We had to take out your imperfections, Cosima. You are perfect now."

"What were you trying to achieve through all of this?"

"Maybe that being nice to you would mean you would work for us without any questions. But we were wrong. We should've known better." Zola squeezed Cosima's shoulders which made her jump. "Your job isn't to bring order peacefully. Your job is to kill and murder, so we can have a lavish, new order. Your sacrifice means our survival through the generations."

Cosima didn't know which was worse. Learning that she was someone else, with long, blonde hair and beautiful skin or learning what she was to become - an assassin. 

"Welcome to Hydra, Cosima. You're officially going to be used for our purposes now."

"And if I resist?"

"You've seen only a small fractions of the weapons and toys we harbour. If you resist, you'll meet more of them." A door opened and she heard Zola's footsteps go to the door. "This is goodbye, Cosima." 

Why was he saying goodbye? Would she be without him? Would this be better?