CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

More and more robots entered the town, and Cosima and Wanda were finding it hard to deal with the sheer number. Wanda was still scared of using her powers. Often, before any of this, she had thought of the awful and horrible things she had done to Cosima and what pain her own powers had caused Cosima. It tore Wanda to pieces that the same Cosima wanted to help fight alongside her. It encouraged Wanda, and made her fight better and stronger with a past friend beside her. As for Cosima, she was giving it everything. The guns she carried had little or no effect from their ammunition, but she used her guns as a tool for slamming into the robots. She kept Cap's words of encouragement in her head, and used that to keep going. She would make her happy ending. She would become a hero. She would make her own future instead of someone writing it for her.

Another line of robots came at Wanda and Cosima. Cosima effortlessly glided into them, knocking half a dozen sideways. The rest ran at Wanda, startling her slightly. She used an energy ball to attack two and send them crumbling to the ground. Cosima used the base of her gun to attack a robot whose head came off. She stretched her wings out and two more robots fell to the ground, lifeless. Wanda put up a shield around her. Everything was too much for her. She couldn't handle this. She looked at Cosima who was pulling her weight and destroying the robots and then thought of herself who couldn't handle the pressure or her powers. A robot crept behind her and punched her forwards, ending her shield. She shouted for help and saw Cosima rushing to the rescue. Cosima fought off the robots and knelt beside her friend.

"We ... have to get out of here," Wanda said, trying to get to her feet.

"Let's keep moving. We can't let these robots get out of here."

"But there's too many of them," Wanda said in a panic.

"I know. How about this. You cover me and then we'll stop for a while."

Wanda nodded and let herself be helped up. Cosima realised how fragile Wanda was. In the last Hydra facility, Wanda had seemed so strong and defiant. But now, she looked weak and scared. She was crying out for it all to be over. Cosima realised how far she had come from being like that. She realised what a different person she had become, and she liked it. She felt better, felt stronger and in more control of her mind. This was what she had always dreamed of, and these last few days had pulled off into trying to find out who she was meant to become.

Cosima and Wanda kept moving. They found Clint amongst the blast fire of the robots. There seemed to be more of them here than surrounding the fringes of Sokovia. Cosima and Wanda took shelter near an abandoned car.

"We need to help Clint," Cosima said. "Are you alright to help." Wanda nodded her head, obviously scared but wanting to help, which was good. Cosima flew into the air to try and draw some robots away, but that proved ineffective. Instead, the robots crowded round her. She decided instead to draw them away and flew up higher. There, she ruffled around in her weapons pockets and produced a small grenade. She flew up higher and circled the robots together. Then she pulled the trigger, dropped it and flew to the right. She looked behind her just in time to see a cloud of metal and sparks. 

But she didn't look at what was below - two abandoned children. Cosima gasped, and then went into flight mode. She needed to reach the children. She couldn't let them die from the rough metal that was going to fall on top of them. She flew as fast as she could, her silver coloured wings flapping furiously in the wind. She was going to make it. She shielded them from the metal downpour, and while they looked scared, they were grateful for the cover. They ran off once they thought the coast was clear. Cosima stretched back her wings, but what she didn't realise was that some metal was still falling.

A large piece of metal scraped past her arm, producing a cut. Cosima started panicking. The pain was horrendous. It crept along her arm like pins and needles until it was almost too much to bear. She ducked into a house, dodging bullets and gunfire. She had to think. This was serious. She could potentially die from this. Cosima ripped a piece of cloth from the tablecloth of the house and wrapped it tightly around her arm. The bleeding was stopping, but she couldn't move it. She wouldn't be any help with just one arm, would she? She wouldn't be able to fire or shoot or punch.

Cosima fell to the ground. She was panicking or hyperventilating or possibly both. She breathed in slowly and out slowly again. While she was doing this, Clint and Wanda crashed in the window, ducking and diving to get out of gunfire.

"You ... alright?" Clint asked, staring at my arm.

"Just a scratch," Cosima commented while lying in the process.

"Cover us a minute?" Clint asked. She indicated at Wanda, who seemed to be losing control. She wasn't used to fighting like this, and she wasn't doing so well either. She needed someone to talk to her, and at the moment, Clint seemed like the perfect person. While Cosima would've happily done it, perhaps Clint was going to give her a talk just like Cap had given her one. Maybe that's what Wanda needed.

Cosima nodded at Clint and flew out the window. With her arm in a make shift bandage, she tried to drive off the remaining robots, but it proved difficult. She only had one arm to punch or attack, and for the amount of robots there were, this was proving impossible. Clint came out a minute later, but his bow and arrow skills did little to eliminate the robots. They were both surrounded, and there was little either of them could do.

But just when all hope seemed gone, Wanda opened the doors to the building she was in. A red glow came off her hands and robots left right and centre were destroyed. The rumble rained down on the street and both Clint and Cosima went up to Wanda. 

"Nice," Cosima said. Wanda nodded. They continued on.