CHAPTER THIRTY

Cosima landed near the Barton household, dusted herself down and regained her breath. What she had found out may not have helped her, but there was something else she could help out with, and then they might help her. 

Cosima started to walk into the kitchen where she saw a man who the other Avengers were listening to. She decided to wait in the shadows until he had finished. 

"I have you. Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere, and ears everywhere else. You kids had all the tech you could dream of. Here we all are, back on planet earth, with nothing but our wit and our will to save the world. Ultron says the Avengers are the only thing standing between him and his mission, and whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction. All this ... lay it in  a grave. So stand. Outwit the platinum-" the man proceeded to use a swear word, one which Cosima shivered at. She'd heard it too many times.

"Steve doesn't like that kind of tone," Natasha pointed out with a smirk.

"You know what Romanoff..." Steve trailed off.

"So what does he want?" the man asked. He sat down, looking at the Avengers to help him out.

"To become better," Steve said. "Better than us." It was obvious they were talking about Ultron. "He keeps building bodies."

"Person bodies," Tony added. He went into a science talk. "The human form is inefficient, biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it." 

"And you two programmed him to project the human race. You amazingly failed."

"They don't need to be protected," Bruce spoke. "They need to evolve. Ultron's gonna evolve."

"How?" the man asked.

"Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?"

The Avengers started talking over each other. They were trying to sort out what to do next and who to send where. They also started calling up Cho on a new phone so they wouldn't be detected. It was then Cosima decided to show herself.

"You've been busy," she said, causing the Avengers to jump a little.

"Yeah. We think we've got a plan together. We're putting the final touches in," Natasha said. Cosima noticed the kindheartedness radiating from Natasha. It was certainly a change. Normally she wouldn't have spoken. Maybe it was because she had taken Wanda's mind control for her.

"Oh my goodness! Cosima?" the man spoke. "You're alright?" The man got up and went over to Cosima, but she backed away. Immediately the man realised. He must have known her before some she got memory-wiped once. "My name's Fury. You ... you don't remember?"

"No." Cosima was blunt.

"Don't worry about it. You'll get to know me really soon." He seemed to be faking his happiness. Cosima wanted to find out why, but now was not the time. 

The Avengers had a plan, and she had to learn it and follow along with it tomorrow. They knew where Ultron was - with Helen Cho. They knew Wanda and Pietro would be there too. They knew that Ultron was wanted to make a better version of a human. Helen was the obvious choice. Close to the Avengers and amazing at her job. 

The plan was simple. Lure him out. Try to trap him and bring him back to the Avengers tower. But then they started thinking further. If he could basically go into the Internet, it didn't matter in whatever body they trapped him, he would always escape. So they thought harder. Ideas were shared and harsh words exchanged, but it was Cosima who came up with the master plan.

"We know that we can't get to Ultron, but what if we take whatever he's making."

"Well, we were going do that anyway," Clint butted in.

"You're not listening," Cosima said, straining her voice to be heard in a room full of people who didn't care about her. "What about we trap Wanda and Pietro? Ultron would ultimately leave them behind. Right? And if some of the Avengers show themselves, Ultron is gonna wanna show off. Which means-"

"He's gonna leave the twins to guard whatever it is that he's making," Steve said.

"So we just have to go in and get them and this human," Natasha added.

"That sounds like a plan," Fury remarked. 

So they had their plan. And everyone seemed happy. They all knew tomorrow would be life or death for their chances of saving the world, so on their lives they swore they had to get at least the advanced human Ultron was making. The group dispersed: some to bed, others to talk. Cosima sat by herself, moving her wings slightly in thought. It had become a habit she couldn't shake off now. She was thinking about Morgana when Steve and Fury's conversation became interesting in the kitchen. She could hear from where she was.

"I don't think that's right to say Fury," Steve argued.

"How is it not right? You don't know anything about her Steve! And this killing machine is just sitting in Clint's living room."

"She doesn't look like a killing machine to me."

"Well Pierce didn't either, and now I have trust issues. All I'm saying is you have to be careful. You don't know what she's gone through. And she's hostile. She's probably sitting alone talking to no-one, wondering what on earth she's doing with a bunch of people completely opposite to her." That part was true. "Steve, you have to know you can trust her with your life. Do you think you can do that now?"

"Yes," came Steve's reply. Cosima smirked.

"Listen to yourself. You saw her a year ago. She wanted to rip your limbs apart. She wanted Natasha, Sam, me and you wiped off the face of the earth. She was a monster. What makes her so different now? Because she doesn't have the same personality anymore?"

"You don't know that-"

"I know enough Steve. I don't trust her. Something doesn't feel right whenever I'm in the room with her."

"Maybe it's because you're scared that she's gonna act the way she was Fury." There was a pause. "I know for a fact that she's not like that. I've been around her for almost a week now, and I can see that she hated her old life. She is trustworthy. She just didn't get the childhood she deserved Fury. End of."

Cosima could hear his footsteps coming out of the kitchen, and she looked at one of the printed images from the library. Steve stormed past her, completely ignoring her. Cosima would thank him when he'd calmed down. For now, she had until morning to figure out how she could get Fury to trust her. 

---

Hey y'all! I asked in the previous chapter that if you have any ideas for a superhero name for Cosima, I'd really like to hear it. Let me know in the comments or dm me please and thank you!