CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Cap helped Cosima up from the floor.

"Does ... everyone hate me?" she asked. Her voice was small, something that shocked Cap. She had normally been quite confident when speaking, even if it was to the other Avengers who she didn't fully trust. Now, she was like a scared animal coming out of hiding.

Cap let out a sigh. "It's ... um, difficult to tell. Some are open to the idea and some are not."

"They think I'm still-"

"Being controlled. Yeah." They left the room and walked down the hallway towards the quinjet. Cosima started feeling sick and stopped.

"I can't do this." She put her hand over her mouth, preventing her from being physically sick.

"Cosima. You're a good fighter."

"But they don't think I am," Cosima said. Her emotions seemed to flood over her. Tears sprung from her eyes and landed on the floor. "They've never trusted me. They think I'm a Hydra freak. They think I''m out to help them and then turn them over to Hydra. They think I'm a monster. I've heard it from all of their mouths!" Cosima stopped. "Try to tell me I'm wrong." She glared at Cap, another tear spilling down her delicate face. 

Cap was speechless. He thought Cosima was ... well, emotionless. Seeing her here, crying, it made him feel sad. He thought Hydra had trained emotions out of their test subjects. He thought they had wiped her clean of emotion. But here she stood, tears gliding down her face.

"You're wrong," Cap said, but he was cut off.

"I'm not wrong!" Cosima yelled, punching her arm through the wall beside her. "They don't want me on the team. Point blanc. If I get on the quinjet, they're gonna kick me off and fight me off. I'm not allowed on the team. I'm a liability to everyone. Including you. I should be in those chains, not out here going to fight." Cosima backed up against the wall. "I can't do it." She slid down the wall, her head in her hands.

Cap stood over her, unsure of what to do. Yes, she was a liability to everyone, but she was also an opportunity. She would make a great member to the team, if he could convince everyone else. He knew it was possible, but she had to believe for it to be a reality.

He knelt down beside her. "Cosima. I can't imagine what back there felt like. It must've been awful."

"You're telling me," Cosima said, barely audible.

"But whatever happened back there, whoever was controlling you, it can be different this time. Back there didn't define who you were. You define who you are. You are the reason you're here. You could of stayed in Stark Tower, but you chose to follow us to Africa. What other people think of you doesn't matter. There's always gonna be people who hate you."

"I think I have a whole army of people who hate me," Cosima chimed in.

"That's not the point. Cosima, there's also an army of people who love you."

Cosima laughed, but it was choked with sobs.

"Cosima, I'm serious. I'm gonna be honest, I wasn't sure of you at the start, but when you showed me what you could do, I knew you were gonna be part of the team. You're awesome and inspirational. Cosima, don't you get it? It doesn't matter what the other Avengers think of you or how they perceive what you do. They have all done things just as bad as you have. Nat was a Russian spy and killed countless people. Tony has killed countless people with his weapons as well. But they're all on the team for one reason: to keep the Earth safe. And you have that same drive within you. You want to world rid of Ultron; so do we. So join us. I'll persuade the others if they say anything. You can't turn down that offer."

Cap stopped and looked at Cosima. She was looking at him with tear-filled eyes. "Well, when you put it like that, I can hardly refuse." Cosima smiled and they both laughed.

"Come on, we're leaving soon." Cap reached out his hand and Cosima grabbed it. They walked down the hallway and onto the quinjet. Tony and Clint were already seated when the two entered.

Tony's mouth dropped and he made a funny face. "I thought we agreed to not bring her."

"Well I'm here," Cosima said. "I'm an extra person to wipe Ultron off the Earth."

"Does it for me. You're in," Clint said.

"Since when did anybody listen to you?" Tony began and they both agreed. Cap and Cosima both thought they were like little boys. Thor walked on board and acknowledged Cosima without saying anything. Then, a purple man walked on board and stared at Cosima. 

"Oh yeah. This is Vision. He was made from the Infinity Stone Ultron had. And Wanda and Pietro are here too."

"Woah. Anything else you want to enlighten me on?" Cosima joked.

"Nat was taken," Cap said. 

"Oh. Is she in Sokovia?"

"Yes. We're also getting her out before this all kicks off."

Wanda, Pietro and Banner walked on board. Wanda and Pietro looked pleased to see Cosima, but Bruce didn't say anything.

They all went off to save the world from Ultron. The quinjet took off and they raced against time to save the world they'd save countless times before.

Also, I want to make an apology. I have left this book untouched for almost 3 months. I got a job and have tons of schoolwork. That's not a great excuse, but there it is. I promise now that I will get this book complete and soon. I will update it every weekend until it's done. And also I want your honest opinions on the chapter. Was it unbelieveable of what Cap said. I'm still unsure. I think this chapter had to come because it shed light on what Cosima and Cap were both thinking. I think this was touching, and we all needed a moment in this book for that. So please let me know how it went and I'll catch up with y'all next weekend!