CHAPTER NINE

For two and a half years, Cosima was trained as an assassin, became an assassin and proved her worth to Hydra. For that length of time, she was in and out of the brainwashing machine constantly. She forgot who Zola was. She forgot her first murder that got her so worked up. She forgot about her doubts. She was into the facility, brain-washed, prepped for a mission and out. She made a name for herself on the streets, in the newspapers and on SHIELD's radar. 

Coming into 2014, Cosima would often feel that the agents around her were very worked up. She didn't ask, because it was still in her mind that she would be punished for everything she did wrong. She was well aware of the pain that Hydra could cause to someone. Sometimes she would even have to perform the pain to get other people to talk.

Some doubts however were always in her mind. Was she a monster or not? Was she a freak or not? And what was Hydra's purpose for her here?

Cosima herself had changed dramatically too. She had worn away to half the body weight she should be. Her short, black hair was still there, but it looked worn and tired. Her face was still hard, but a little softness had grown back into it. But there was something much worse. To make her more like the Winter Soldier's partner, they gave her a metal arm. Enough said.

She would spend days in her room, locked up without food and water. She would grow tired of Hydra's ways, and she would wish that someone would come and rescue her.

Her partnership with the Winter Soldier had grown dramatically. They were like best friends who were inseparable. Even the hard brain-washing that Hydra did never stopped them from clicking. They liked each other's company, but that was all.

Today Cosima thought something was wrong. She had heard agents outside her room, but they never came inside. That just didn't happen. She was scared, but her harsh facial expression didn't show it. She waited impatiently for someone to open her door and explain to her what was going on. She itched her left arm with her metal hand. She would never forgive Hydra for pulling her arm from her body. Never. She knew she had to get out of here, but she had no idea how. Hydra would only find her again. And this would all happen again. This misery. This nightmare.

The locks on her door were ripped off - not unlocked. Someone was angry. She hoped not at her. She didn't have the strength to be hurt again. The door to her room was opened quickly and banged loudly against the wall. A man she had never seen before was standing in the doorway. He was old, with many wrinkles covering his face. He also had glasses, but they were too big for his face and they looked wrong on him. He had short, brown hair. He did not look like he was in the mood to fool around. Cosima was never going to give that to him. 

"Up!" he shouted. Cosima stood up, keeping her eyes fixed on the floor. "Come with me." Cosima followed the man into a prepping room. The Winter Soldier was standing there, going over some plans of some sort. 

"You are to assist Soldier in this mission. I want them dead. All of them dead!" he yelled, leaving the room in a rage fit.

"Steve Rogers. Natasha Romanoff. Sam Wilson. The targets for the mission," Soldier said, making sure Cosima was up to speed.

---

Cosima and Soldier were sitting side by side in a black car. They were travelling on a road, and then going to kill some people. The sick feeling in Cosima's stomach increased the more she thought about what she was going to do. She wanted to throw up, but now was seriously not the time.

"T minus two minutes," an agent said. The sick feeling in Cosima's stomach threatened to make an appearance. She struggled to keep it down.

"Soldier, you're up." He got out of the car with nothing. Cosima wondered how he was going to hurt anyone but she remembered his arm. "You're almost up. He's gonna need your help. They're three Avengers." The rest of the agents burst into laughter and Cosima joined in, not wanting to feel left out like she always felt.