CHAPTER FORTY

I want to first say sorry for not updating and that's because I didn't have the motivation. I believe that without motivation, a story goes nowhere. So instead of writing an awful chapter, I decided to wait until I wanted to write this part. I hope you don't mind, but I am trying to give you the best writing I can. :) Love - Katie

And now to the story...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robots poured towards the church. It was a frightening sight. Nobody quite knew if the Avengers would be successful, but they were willing to give it their all. They would stop at nothing to try their hardest to keep Earth safe from the manic Ultron.

The Avengers fought like clockwork. A robot came. It was instantly destroyed. Another one came. Smashed on the ground. They worked effortlessly together, making their job of protecting Earth look easy.

Cosima stuck her wing out to halt the robots from pressing the button in the centre of the church. While this created a dreadful noise, they flopped to the ground: lifeless. She also had picked up a vibranium rod from a lifeless robot and was taking down stacks of robots with it. The rod held firm against the flying intruders and smashed their inside mechanic parts, ripping them in half. Cosima smiled as she was taking down each robot, feeling more like the hero she was meant to be. Even she believed it now.

Suddenly, Ultron came into the church, but Vision took care of him. As Cosima wasn't exactly sure what he was, she just rolled with it. A couple of seconds later, a bright yellow light burst from the stone on top of his head, pushing Ultron back. His vibranium super suit was now useless compared to Ultron's blast of energy. Thor and Tony joined in by sending a constant lightning blast and energy blast. Under the immense heat from the combined blow, Ultron's vibranium was starting to melt. Cosima smiled. Things were finally turning the Avengers way. 

The blow stopped and Ultron got up slowly from the ground. Cosima heard him start to speak, but Hulk punched him into the air. Once Ultron's robots saw this, they tried to leave the floating rock. With this, they would bring part of Ultron's programming in their minds with them, possibly creating another Ultron. The Avengers could not let that happen.

"We can't let any of them leave. Not even one," Tony said through his mic. "Rhode."

A new voice for Cosima popped on the mic. "On it." Cosima believed it to be a friend of Tony. From her Hydra training, she had developed a way of understanding people's relationships based on speech. From the way Tony was speaking to 'Rhode', it sounded to Cosima as a friend, and a long friendship at that. Vision also left to take down the robots. 

Cap turned to the group. "We've gotta move out. Even I can tell the air's getting thin. I'll sweep for stragglers." 

"What about the core?" Clint asked. One of the Avengers would have to stay behind and protect it from stray robots. It was dangerous job, and not one anyone wanted to do.

"I'll do it. It's my job," Wanda announced. Clint and Cosima were shocked. Clint's speech had really affected her.

Everyone left except Cosima. Pietro joined them.

"I'm not going to leave you here," Pietro said.

"We'll stay and help," Cosima added.

"I can handle this," Wanda said, proving her point by ripping a robot with her red energy. "Pietro, come back for me once everyone else is off, not before." Cosima took her cue to leave.

She glided up into the air. The cut on her arm had started to get infected. Cosima could feel that under her make shift bandage that things weren't good. She needed medical attention, and fast. She could make it to the boats easily and have assistance in seconds, but to Cosima that would be selfish. If anyone deserved to die on this floating rock, Cosima thought it was herself. She had committed acts she knew not of, but she knew she had done terrible things. She didn't want to delve into them because she knew they were so off putting. The giving of her life for the people on this rock seemed like a good deal to Cosima. So she scared the rock for anyone left in houses, on the streets or injured.

Some children were hunched in the corner of the street, a robot with only one arm still working crawling desperately after them. They were running for their lives when Cosima glided down between the robot and the children. The robot fired at Cosima. It hit her metal arm.

She laughed. "That's metal silly. You should've known that." Cosima smacked her vibranium rod into the robot's head and it stopped moving. Cosima turned around and looked at the children. They seemed scared, but they looked to Cosima for help. Cosima tucked the metal rod into a pocket, took the three children in her arms and took off. 

She flew high above the city. As she did, she saw the quinjet rise in the sky. She wondered who was leaving, but then the jet started to fire on the city. 'That couldn't possibly be an Avenger shooting, could it have been?' Cosima thought. Suddenly, a bright red blast came from the church. It was stronger than anything Cosima had seen Wanda perform, ever. Then the Hulk leaped onto the quinjet and Ultron came tumbling out. That made sense to Cosima on who it was that was firing on the city. 

Cosima landed with the children onto one of the boats and set them down. The thanked her repeatedly before taking the seats beside her. Cosima looked around for Clint and Natasha who should have been on one of the boats. It was odd that neither of them were on any boat that Cosima looked at.

Then Cap and Clint came on board with Pietro in Cap's arms. Cosima got up right away.

"What ... happ-" she began but she couldn't finish her sentence. Cap and Clint's eyes told her everything she needed to know. They laid Pietro on the floor of the boat and sat down. Cosima couldn't believe it. While Pietro was always distant from Cosima, in the last few hours she felt warmth from him. He seemed to want to give his all, and his super speed had proved itself invaluable in the day's battle. A single tear ran down Cosima's cheek.

"What about Wanda?" Cosima asked.

"What about her? Is she not already on the boats?" Clint asked.

"No. She was at the podium. She was waiting for Pietro to come get her." 

"I'll get her," Vision said, floating in the air above them. 

"Thank you," Cosima added before sitting down. The long day had took its tole of Cosima, and her arm now felt heavy and numb. She was starting to lose feeling in her fingertips now - an obvious bad sign. The boat started to move towards the helicarrier. Cosima laid her head back. She would the medical help she needed. She could let go and still know she would be in capable hands.

So she let go to sleep having saved the world from Ultron.

The villain had turned into the glorious hero.