CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

The team landed in an open field beside a forest and started walking towards a small house. Everyone was silent - reflecting on what had happened or what was going to happen. No one questioned anything as they walked up onto the veranda of a beautiful house or even as they all stepped inside. Cosima knew she would not be welcome to stay where this was. She knew she had to go and find answers.

Clint seemed to know what he was doing. He started looking around. "Honey," he said. "I'm home."

A pregnant woman came out of the kitchen and she looked shocked to see the Avengers in her living room. "Hi," Clint said, hoping she'd accept this all. "I have company. Sorry I didn't call ahead." The two kissed, something that made Cosima feel uneasy. She stretched her wings out slightly and retracted them.

"This is an agent of some kind," Tony said, trying not to believe that this was someone important to Clint.

"Gentlemen," Clint began, "this is Laura."

She smiled at the Avengers. "I know all your names." She stopped smiling when she locked eyes with Cosima. The tension in the room was deafening. Laura looked back at Clint who gave her a 'we'll-talk-about-this-later' look. Cosima knew she wasn't welcome.

Two children bounded down the stairs and ran into Clint's arms. These were his children. Cosima now knew she had to go so she didn't hurt the children. 

"These are smaller agents," Tony said, trying harder not to believe that these people were Clint's unknown family.

The Avengers and Laura all chatted and Thor left but Cosima drowned it out. She was busy thinking of what she was going to do now. She should have stayed at the Avengers Tower. 

"You have wings?" a small voice asked. Cosima looked below her. Clint's daughter was asking the question. Cosima nodded. "Can I touch them?"

"No." Cosima backed away a little bit.

"Please," the little girl asked. She was on the verge of tearing up because she wasn't getting her way.

Cosima left the room and skidded past Steve who was contemplating something. Cosima spread her wings out and looked out.

"Are you leaving then?" Steve asked.

"Why do you care?"Cosima turned around to face him. She retracted her wings.

"Because ... something within me tells me that you'll be a great person. Something deep down within. And I feel it's my responsibility to help you get there."

Cosima looked at the ground. "When do you think we'll leave here? This farm I mean."

"Probably tomorrow sometime. Why?"

"I'll see you tonight." Cosima turned around and spread her wings out.

"I'll let the others know."

"They wouldn't care," Cosima whispered. She knew it was the truth. So did Steve.

"See you around." She could hear his footsteps going off. They drifted away. Cosima took a deep breath and thought about what she wanted to do. It honestly didn't sound that bad. She wasn't really going to break any laws doing this. Well, she didn't know what the laws in America were to be honest. 

She took off. She rose into the air. But it was harder than most times. Probably because she was still mentally weak after Wanda's mind-control. Nevertheless, she got up into the air and started to fly away from the house.

"Can I get down now?" someone said. Cosima looked down. Clint's daughter was clinging to her leg! Cosima panicked.

"Give me your hand," Cosima said.

"I'm too scared," the little girl replied, a tear coming out of her eye.

"Here. Hold onto my arms." Cosima outstretched her arms so she could grab Clint's daughter. "It's gonna be fine." The girl let herself be lifted into Cosima's arms. Cosima held her close. "That wasn't so bad, was it?"

"No." The girl swung her head around to look at Cosima and smiled. "Can I touch your wing?"

Cosima rolled her eyes. "Okay." The girl reached out her arm and grabbed onto Cosima's wings. She rolled her fingers in Cosima's feathers. It felt sort of nice to Cosima. 

"Why are they black?"

"I don't know. They've always been like that. Shall we go down?" The girl nodded.

Cosima gently lowered herself. She saw Clint and Laura on the ground looking up at her. Hopefully they didn't think she'd stolen their daughter. But they shouldn't, should they?

When Cosima was low enough, she handed the little girl over to Laura, who cuddled her daughter very tight.

"You're not staying?" Clint asked, not seeming too bothered.

"I need some answers. I'll be back soon."

"Don't stay out too late," Laura advised before Cosima took off. She glided up and looked around. A large city was sitting around 10 minutes flying distance from here.

Cosima bolted away.