CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

The ride on the quinjet was pretty event less. Nobody spoke or made a noise. Everyone was preparing themselves for what they were going to be going up against - Ultron and his robot soliders. Everyone was deep in thought, including Cosima. She took Cap's words on board. Everybody here had come from different backgrounds - good and bad - yet when they all came together, they formed a tight bond which helped save the Earth. Cosima was going to join them. They were all heroes, even if some believed they were less than others.  

They left the quinjet in  the woods and planned what they were each going to do to bring Ultron down. Tony stressed that not one 'tin can' as he called them could leave Sokovia, because essentially, they were all Ultron. Everyone had to pull their weight, and they all knew that not everyone was going to make it. They knew they'd be casualties everywhere, and they wanted to prevent as many deaths as possible. It was a big ask, but they knew they had to deliver. It was either that or risk the world to a robot.

Pietro and Wanda were to help round up the people of Sokovia and lead them out of the city. They were the most at risk because Ultron didn't care about deaths. In Ultron's mind, the deaths of the innocent were the Avengers fault. 

Thor and Bruce were to find out what Ultron had been building and to see if he was keeping Natasha hostage.

Clint, Cosima, Cap and Vision were to be positioned around the city, looking out for Ultron and helping the people escape as much as possible. Tony was on the search for his creation. Cosima and Cap were positioned around the bridge, helping people get across and trying to prevent traffic jams. Everything was tense.

"How much longer do you think until he shows his face?" Cosima asked, helping an old woman across the bridge to safety.

"I'd say we have a few minutes. Tony seems to be doing well stalling him."

"Hopefully it lasts a while long-" Cosima began, but she was interrupted by an explosion coming from her right. She looked up into the sky and her jaw dropped at what she saw. Hundreds of flying robots tearing down and destroying the city, while in the process risking civilian's lives. Robots started pouring onto the streets and began coming towards Cap and Cosima. 

"Well, looks like Tony's finished stalling," Cap said taking his shield from his back and putting it on his arm.

"You could say that again," Cosima said. The robots started coming towards the cars that were pouring over the bridge. The people, who were terrified, poured out of their cars and started streaming across the bridge. Both Avengers knew exactly what they had to do, and while it wasn't going to be easy, it was going to make a difference.

"Ready?" Cap asked Cosima.

"Nope," Cosima answered truthfully. She still couldn't believe she was here, making a difference for the people of Sokovia. She was ready to pummel Ultron to the ground, but she wasn't exactly ready to fight. She was nervous, granted, but something inside her told her to fight. 

A robot advanced towards her. She thrust her wing into its abdomen. It wobbled back. Sparks flew from it's torso. Cap hit it with his shield. It fell in two. A robot grabbed her back. She spun around, throwing it off. She punched it with her metal arm. It's head rolled away. Three robots attacked her and pushed her to the ground. They then took off into the air, bringing her along for the ride. She thrust her wing out, knocking one off. She punched another. It remained steady. She took out a dagger and began attacking a robot. It fell down. She attacked the other one. It fell down. She regained control in the air just as the third robot flew into her. It ripped her hair back. It shot at her arm, but it was metal and bounced straight off, hitting the robot instead and shattering it to pieces. 

But some low rumbling came from below the city. Cosima came back down to the ground, only to find it was lifting up on its own accord.

"Tell me the city's not floating upwards," Cap said motionless.

"I ... it's not possible. Is it?" Cosima replied.

Two flying robots thrust into Cap and Cosima, knocking them backwards into abandoned cars.

"C and C, you've got incoming."

"Incoming already came in," Cap said. "You worry about getting the city back on the ground safely. The rest of us have one job. Tearing these things apart. You get hurt, hurt 'em back. You get killed ... walk it off."

Robots streamed at Cosima and Cap. "We can't do this on our own," Cosima complained, wrestling against two robots while keeping another at bay with her foot.

"We've got to try," Cap said encouragingly. "Cosima, family to your left."

Cosima looked to her left where a mother and son were almost at the edge of the flying city, being backed there by four robots. Cosima finally wrestled and destroyed the two robots as well as putting the third into the side of a truck, crushing it instantly. She flew overhead, grabbed the mother and son, and flew back. But one of the robots hit her with a blast to her wing, and they all went spinning. The mother was screaming and the son was crying. Cosima knew they were gonna crash. She could almost feel the impact. She closed her eyes and braced for the worst.

But it never came. Instead, when she opened her eyes, a red mist enveloped Cosima and the family. Cosima looked down at the ground and saw Wanda, smiling up at her. Wanda let her hold go and Cosima brought the family down and let go of them. The two girls stared at each other.

"Thank you," Cosima said.

"Cosima, I'm sorry for everything. This is so wrong, and it's all my fault. I-"

"Save it Wanda. We're both equally in the wrong." Wanda was quiet. "Right now we have a job to do."

"So let's do it."

The two ran into the centre of the town, blasting robots left, right and centre.