10 - This Is Too Much

"Mark?"

John turns his head towards the entrance, too. "Oh Shit!" He exclaims.

As much as I want to run to him and feel his arms around me for comfort and safety, I don't. What John said earlier is still running through my mind. He's been cheating on me with Sandra. Even if he denied it and tried to make up some story to cover it, I still can't remove the fact that he lied to me. He lied to me to see her. What did he say again? That there are missing funds from the resort? Missing funds my ass. It was just an excuse so I won't know of their plans.

It's not easy to believe John's words. But, didn't Karen tell me the same thing? That I shouldn't trust Mark? That he could've fallen for Sandra and they could be in on this together?

Then, my mom ....

"Cris." Mark's face softens when he sees me. But his expression turns to anger when he spies the boy at the table with me.

John, taken by surprise and now scared, almost jumps out of his chair and defensively puts his hands up in front of him as he backs away from Mark who's now taking long, angry strides towards us.

"Mark!' I stand between him and the terrified boy, putting my own hands up to stop him from getting to John.

He rolls his eyes at the boy and looks down at me, his expression changing. "You ok?" He holds my arm gently, rubbing it up and down. "Cris. What happened?"

"What are you doing here?" I hide my real emotions by acting a bit annoyed.

His eyebrows crease as he studies my face. "You called me."

I did, didn't I? Shit. I was waiting for him to answer when I dropped the phone because of what I saw. "How'd you know where I am?"

"GPS." The lines on his forehead deepen. "Cris. What are you doing with him?" He has that same look on his face when he doubted me earlier back at the apartment. I'm just guessing he thinks I'm here to get stuff from John.

I don't have the energy to explain myself. So, I just sigh and take my bag from the chair beside me.

He tightens his grip on my arm. "Where are you going?"

"Outta here." I yank my arm free and push him out of my way. My feet refuse to move when I see three guys entering the café. I get even more stunned when their eyes move towards us and they see me.

"Mark!" One of them says and my eyes get even bigger.

He knows those guys? They were the ones after me earlier. What the fuck is going on?

"You found her." The other nods.

Finally, I'm able to open my mouth and move my head. "You know them?" I ask Mark, feeling silly about my question. Of course he knows them.

"They work for me." Mark tells me, nodding casually at the guys who are now making their way to us.

"They were .... Mark? ..." I take a few steps back and I feel John's hand pulling me back.

"What?" Mark creases his brows. His face gets redder when he sees John's hand on mine. Just one angry look at John and the boy lets go of me. "What's wrong, Cris?" He sees my terrified face as I continue to walk backwards.

"Why are they here, Mark?"

"I asked them to look for you."

"How did they get to me that fast?" I turn to Mark, trying to control the fear that is showing through my eyes. "You said you knew where I am because of my GPS. I only turned on my phone when I got out of the hotel. Just ... Just minutes before I saw them." My eyes are fixated on Mark, studying his reaction, but I can see the exit at the corner of my eyes. It's too far, and the three guys are blocking my way. SHIT! I swallow hard, feeling even more scared.