20 - Sandra

How can one be at the top for almost her whole life then reach rock bottom in a matter of days?

Well, that is how my life happened to end up, actually.

I was once the princess that everyone envied in school. Boys wanted to be with me and girls wanted to be me.

Until my dad went mad all over his money and did some stuff I'm not really proud of. Because of his greed, he was sent to jail, our businesses went down the drain, and my mom left us.

I hated him for that. So, I went to London to pursue my own career. I wanted to put up my own business after graduating. I wanted to show my dad how I would rise and leave him empty-handed. I so wanted to do that.

But, he wouldn't just leave me alone.

One day, I just learned from one of the few people left working for him, that he had me arranged into a stupid marriage .... all because of money.

I wanted to run, far away from him as possible. But, I couldn't.

When I saw him, and noticed how frail he's become - he must've been working late with no one to tend to his needs nor worry about his health, I gave in.

I know I always prayed to the gods for him to rot in jail or something like that, but my heart ached seeing him so devastated.

My anger and hatred towards him subsided to a mere disappointment. It was an easy way out for him, and he was using me for his own benefit.

Still, I agreed to the engagement.

Mark Tuan. That was the guy I was supposed to marry.

He was not really the person I was expecting him to be. Honestly, I thought I was gonna marry someone older or even more matured. I was surprised to see a boy. He was as uninterested as I was. I heard he had a girlfriend at that time. I was single though, I was married to my studies and my future.

At first, he didn't really strike my interest. I just wanted to get the engagement done and over with so I could concentrate on what I needed to do. However, as time passed by, I was drawn closer and closer to him. I didn't know what really appealed to me. Yes, he has good looks, but he had more than that deep inside that lured me nearer.

In such short period of time, I realized I wanted him. Unfortunately, he was too deep into someone else. It was a shame he cancelled the arrangement. It was too good to be true anyway. I didn't really mind. Maybe he just wasn't for me.

After what my father and the others with him planned on doing to Mark and his family and to the girl, too, I felt ashamed. I really didn't know how to show my face to him or even apologize. But, because I knew it was the right thing to do, I gave him a call.

I was not expecting anything, more so for him to accept my apology. But, he did. We got closer after that. And I was more than ecstatic when he asked me for help.

That time, I was in London, thinking of how I would start my life again. I had some money left and the house I was able to get from the small businesses of some people I know that I invested in. It wasn't much. But, I had plans.

I took him in, not knowing that he was with the girl.

Cristina Samson. I think I remember her father. He's the owner of the firm that put my father in prison the first time. I wasn't mad at her, I know it was my father's fault anyway. But, I was just upset and probably jealous of what she had and what I have lost - including Mark.

I tried ... to get to know her better and even be friends with her. But, it was hard. Maybe also for her, knowing that I was the one Mark was supposed to be engaged with.