Dont Say That Part 3

“Slow down! I can't walk that fast!” Lucy called only a foot behind Maddie. Maddie slowed down and let her catch up and kept that pace to make her friend happy.

“I'm trying to get to the beach today.” Maddie teased her. Lucy fake laughed and glared at her. Eventually, they stepped onto sand and Maddie immediately slipped off her flip flops, carrying them until they found a spot they could settle at. They sat down their chairs and laid their towels across them. They slipped off their short-shorts and tanks and folded them in their bags. They looked at each and smiled before starting to run towards the ocean. They splashed and played around in the water before making their way back to their seats. When they were about a couple steps away, a sterofoam football hit Maddie on the side of the head as they heard a guy yell “Heads up!” Maddie fell, but managed to turn and land on her knees and hands. When she looked up, she almost gasped out loud. It was him. It was Nick. “Maddie? Is that you?” Nick asked.

“Yeah. It's me. Watch where you throw your football will ya?” Maddie grabbed the football from behind her and chucked at Nick. He caught it easily and smirked at her attitude.

“I didn't throw it. But yes ma'am.” He bowed. Maddie rolled her eyes.

“Do y'all know each other.” Nick looked over at the other girl, Maddie noticed how he seemed to realize Lucy for the first time after she spoke. Almost like all he was focused on was Maddie, but she shook those thoughts out of her head quickly.

“Yeah, Lucy this is Nick.”

“Oh, Nick. I remember her telling me about you.” Maddie snapped her head to her friend and prayed she wasn't blushing. When she touched her cheek, sure enough, it was hot and not because of the sun.

“You told your friend about me?” Nick teased her, stepping closer where they were only a foot apart.

“I just told her about the annoying, loud group that I had to serve yesterday. The only nice thing I said was... I was really thankful for the tip.” She smirked back.

“You're welcome.” He replied, his eyes showing he knew she had said more. She tried to keep a serious expression, but broke into a small grin. Lucy cleared her throat.

“Do y'all need a quarterback?” She offered, twisting her hair which was her way of flirting.

“We're really just throwing it back and forth but y'all can join if you'd like.” He kept his eyes on Maddie, only looking at Lucy when she spoke.

“Yeah, we'll play.” Lucy said. “Come on, Maddie.” They walked together, and the other three guys met them. “Who are you guys?” Lucy asked, keeping her eye on Mikey.

“I am Mikey, this Mark and Ryan.” He said, checking out Lucy. Maddie smirked as Lucy started twisting her hair again. “Come on. Let's play. What about ultimate foozball?” He offered.

“Yeah, let' s play. Each two guys gets a girl, that way it'll be fair.” Nick said. “Dibs on Maddie.” Nick put his arm around her shoulders and Maddie just laughed. “Oh, Mark, you're on my team too, man.”

Mark and Nick high fived and Lucy walked over to Mikey and Ryan.

“Alright, Out of bounds is the parking lot and the water. No farther than that hotel and that hotel.” Ryan pointed. “Meet up with your teams for a game plan. When I yell ready... get in position.”

The teams went their separate ways and came up with a game plan. Ryan yelled ready a minute later and the game started. Nick, Ryan, and Maddie won two out of three games, so they made the other guys pay for their celebratory ice cream trip.