Chapter 7

Annabeth POV

"Well what else, we kill" Clarisse orders and the campers charge.

'No! What am I going to do?' I thought. 

"Annabeth we can't let them get to Percy and the hellhound" Nico tells me.

"But Nico..." I respond.

"He's our friend" Nico cuts me off, his eyes laced with worry.

'I'm so going to regret this'

I nod at him, "Nico, shadow travel us before Percy" I tell him. 

Our bodies are engulfed in a dark shroud and we begin to move towards Percy's laying body in lightning speed. 

We appear before the charging campers with our blades unsheathed.

"Get out of the way you two" Clarisse yells.

"No" I answer.

"Suit yourself" Clarisse snorts. 

"Enough!" Chiron yells, everyone halts and turns to him. 

"Too much blood has been spilled this day. Your friends lay fallen still, in the battlefield near the Labyrinth. We yet have commended their souls to Elysium" Chiron says grimly, sadness in his tone.

The mention of our fallen friends... our sisters and brothers... darkened the atmosphere. I can feel a heavy weight on my already torn heart. I lost many of my siblings in that battle. 'Malcolm'

Word has spread that Pan has faded, with no successor. The forests and wilds will suffer greatly; maybe even wither away. 

If that wasn't enough, the oracle was desecrated by Luke's forces: burned in front of us as a way to lower our morale. We have no oracle, we are lost.

My attention returns and I can see that everyone is sulking as well. They all drop their weapons and headed back to camp. 

There will be a huge burning tonight, "gods help us all' I mutter softly. 

I feel a hand on my back, rubbing soothing circles.

"Annabeth" Nico whispers and I fall in to his arms, crying. 

"Nico I wasn't strong enough to save Malcolm. He was my responsibility." I choked out. 

Nico continues to soothe me. Chiron walks towards us, "Come children. Nico order that hellhound to take Percy to the Hermes Cabin" Chiron says.

I forget sometimes that Nico is the son of Hades and that he has power over beasts like hellhounds.

As Nico went to fetch the hellhound and get Percy, I walked alongside Chiron, wallowing in my sorrow. 

"Malcolm?" Chiron asks me.

I can only nod. "My dear, Kronos's time will come, his retribution swift. Your brother will have his justice" Chiron assures me. 

'Kronos', the mention of that titan, makes my blood boil.

"He certainly will pay" I say.

"It is not wise allow anger to run you life Annabeth" Chiron scolds me.

Anger stirs in me, my blood boils. 'My brother died!' I think.

Flashback

"Ares and Apollo cabin, will take the left flank. Dionysus and Demeter cabin, take the right. Everyone else, follow the Athena cabin with the center assault" I order.

The campers disperse and I am left alone with Malcolm. Tears begin to form in my eyes.

I feel his hand on my shoulder, "Annabeth, I'm right behind you" he assures me.