Chapter 17

(4 years after)
I went home to relax for a few weeks, or maybe months. And when I said home, I meant LA.

I already finished college and I had a stable job in New York. I had a safe, comfortable apartment in Manhattan and I was living my dream. I seriously couldn't be more happy.

I didn't tell my family that I was going to visit and was planning to surprise them. But when I opened the door, I was the one who got surprised.

I pushed the door open and saw Klo holding a banner saying "welcome home tooth fairy", auntie was holding a box with a big red bow wrapped around it and Brent was popping a party popper.

I covered my mouth with my hands, then ran to them to hug them. I hugged Klo first, "I missed you big time."

"Awe I missed you too. Hope you liked our little surprise," she chuckled as she pulled away from the hug.

I grinned and turned to auntie to give her a big hug, then Brent. "This is for you," auntie said as she handed me a box. "It's a birthday gift."

"But there's still 2 weeks before my birthday."

"Advance," she winked.

"Thank you," I smiled and gave her a quick hug again.

"Open it!" Klo said excitedly.

I laughed a little bit as I started removing the bow on top. I tore the paper wrapper, then opened the box. In there, there was a book. I picked up the book and turned it around to read the blurb. I found out that it was a mystery fiction book, which I loved, but there was a problem. It was the second book and I don't think I could understand it without reading the first one.

"I like this so much, but it's already the second book, auntie," I chuckled.

"What?" Auntie said, widening her eyes a little bit. She took the book from me and read the back of it. "I just saw it in the mystery section and picked it up without reading it. My bad, sorry," she said, giving the book back to me.

"It's okay. Don't worry," I gave her a reassuring smile. "I'll just go to the bookstore and buy the other one."

"I'll come with you," Klo said, raising her hand up. "I want to grab a cappuccino in Mint's anyway."

"Okay, sure," I agreed.

Brent cleared his throat and said, "but can we eat first? I really want to taste the lasagna that mom cooked."

The three of us looked at each other and laughed as we pulled Brent to the dining table.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

"Hey mom, we'll be back in like an hour, okay?" Klo shouted, walking to the door.

We saw auntie peeked in from the door that separated the living room from the kitchen. "Okay, but can you grab me a cappuccino too?"

Klo nodded her head rapidly and pulled me outside.

While we were walking to the nearest bookstore, we were talking about my life in NYC. I told her about the patients I met and other things about New York. I was always busy working because I was woking in a big, well-known clinic, so there was no time to lounge around.

She said that one day, she'd go there to visit me and she'd pull me to a club to party a little bit because I should have a 'life'.

We were so busy talking that we didn't notice that we already reached our destination. We entered the bookstore and was welcomed by a warm air coming from the air conditioner.

Klo went to the new arrivals section and I went to the mystery section. I headed to that section and when I got there, I saw a raven-haired girl, getting a book from the bookshelf. She turned to take a quick glance at me, then ignored me. She took another glance and this time, it was longer. She was looking at me like I did something wrong. I smiled at her and turned my attention in finding the book.

I could feel her walking to me, so I turned around and saw her already beside me. "Can you suggest any good book? I like books about solving crimes and mysterious deaths," she said.

"Uhm, I suggest Fake IDs. It's really a great book," I replied politely.

She started scanning the shelf, looking for te book I think. When she found it, she immediately grabbed it and turned to me. "Well, thank you for that suggestion. I'm Camila by the way," she said, offering her hand and waiting for me to shake it.

I took it and shook it, "it's nice to meet you. I'm—"

She interrupted me and said, "I know you."

I furrowed my brows and released her hand quickly. How could this girl that I just met knew me? "Sorry, but do I know you?"

"I don't think so. I believe that this is the first time we met," she chuckled a little bit. "How about you? Do you know me?" She asked.

"Sorry, but no," I replied.

She chuckled a little bit again and said, "you seriously need to stop apologizing."

"Sorry. I mean—," I paused and smiled. "Wait, how—," I was interrupted again. But this time, it was Klo.

"Wait, Camila Mendes?" Klo said, bringing her hand to her mouth. "Oh my gosh, I'm a big Veronica Lodge fan!" She exclaimed. "You didn't tell me you were talking to Camila," Klo said to me.

So Camila was her name. How come Klo knew her? Were they friends? I was so confused.

"Oh thank you," Camila smiled. "Do you know her?" She asked, pointing at me.

"Oh yes, she's my cousin."

Camila looked at the both of us, smiled and said, "okay, well I need to go now and purchase this book. My friends are waiting for me." She said goodbye to us and started walking away. But before she could disappear in our sights, she turned around and looked at me saying, "thank you for the suggestion again."

"Pleasure," I grinned.

She smiled for the last time before turning around and completely disappeared.

I looked at Klo who was squinting her eyes at me. I shrugged my shoulders and said, "what?"

"You need to explain to me what happened between you and Camila," she said as she started crossing her arms. "But before that, we should pay for that," she said pointing to the book. "And go to the cafe because my body badly needs caffeine right now."

I sighed and went to the cashier. Meanwhile, there were a lot of things going in my head and I think I need caffeine too.

—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—

It's A/n time!!

Hey guys! How are you? Yup, Camila showed up in this chapter and the next chapter will be in her POV. I'm so excited to write the next chapter.

Also, I feel like you aren't enjoying the story anymore that's why I decided that I will end this story soon. So a few chapters left before I say goodbye to this story.

Lastly, no more goals, so I'll update whenever I feel updating or as soon as I finished writing the chapter.

Thank you for the 1.4k reads! Much love x

Don't forget to vote, comment and share it to you friends! Have a good day.

xoxo,
gurl