Chapter 21

(After 1 year)

I woke up at the sunlight that was peeking from the blinds. I looked at the alarm clock that was sitting in my bedside table and found out it was already 9:30 am. I was late for work. I quickly got up, went to the bathroom to take a quick shower, wore my uniform and left my apartment. I didn't bother to eat my morning cereal or even grab a granola bar.

I ran to the clinic, my workplace, because it was only a 15-minute walk from my apartment, but I got there for only 8 minutes. When I reached the clinic, I could feel my legs were aching and I was having a hard time breathing. I opened the door and took a seat at the nearest sofa and closed my eyes, trying to steady my breathing. Even though I was busy with my own business, I could hear a few people murmuring. They were probably wondering why I was looking like an exhausted zombie.

I heard the door—that separates the waiting area and the room where we, dentists, do our thing, (a/n sorry I really don't know how to explain it lol) —opened, so I opened my eyes and saw it was Justin, the other dentist and one of my college best friends.

Justin and I both applied to that clinic and both of us got accepted. Meanwhile, Lili was back in Chicago and I heard she already built her own clinic there. I was planning to do the same in LA after I finish my contract here.

And Justin? I don't know what were his plans.

"Hey, are you okay?" He asked with a hint of concern in his eyes.

"Yeah," I nodded. "I woke up late again that's why I ran from my place to here."

"Did you check the calendar," he laughed softly.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"It's Sunday. It's your day off, remember?"

I face palmed myself as I groaned. I totally forgot that it was Sunday and maybe that was why my alarm clock didn't ring.

"Oh I'm so sorry, Justin. I forgot it was my rest day."

"It's okay," he chuckled. "Anyways, happy birthday!" He said as he walked towards me and hugged me. I hugged him back and thanked him.

When he pulled away, he went inside thw other room and came back with a big box in his hands.

"This one's for you," he said as he handed me the box.

My eyes widened a bit when he told me the box was for me because it was really big. "You're so sweet, Justin," I said as I get the box from him. "Thank you so much."

"Open it," he said excitedly, clapping his hands.

Did I mention that he was gay? If I didn't, then here you go. He only realized that he was gay after we graduated. He told us that he was attracted to boys, not girls. He tried to flirt with some girls like Lili, but it felt "weird". And that's the reason why he and Lili never got in a relationship. Lili and I were both happy and supportive for him.

I smiled at him, then opened the box. My jaw dropped when I saw what was inside. There were a lot of things with a tooth design; pillows, a mug, shirts, earrings, phone cases and a tote bag. But there was one thing that caught my eye. It was a tooth-shaped trophy that has a fake gold plaque at the bottom that has my name and "best dentist" written on it. I was so surprised and overwhelmed that I cried a few tears. I wiped them away, then gave Justin a big, tight hug.

"Thank you so much, Justin. You don't know how happy I am right now," I whispered.

"Those things are nothing compared to the things you've done for me," he whispered softly as he rubbed my back.

I pulled away and said, "I'm so grateful to call you my friend."

He smiled at me and he pulled into a hug again.

I left the clinic after a few minutes of talking with Justin.

While I was walking back to my apartment, I decided to grab a coffee first before I went home because I totally needed it to wake myself up a little bit.

I reached the coffee shop and ordered the usual, then sat at the table near the corner.

There were only a few people inside which was perfect because I needed a place to think and relax.

I was carefully sipping my coffee as I examined the beauty of NYC. Meanwhile, I couldn't get my mind off from what happened these past few months.

Ross and I were going to be having our anniversary in a month and my birthday was today, but he wasn't calling me or texting me. I wasn't trying to be clingy, but he should have called me or something, right? He had been like that since last month. When I call him he's either busy filming or sleeping. When I text him how are you's and I love you's he wouldn't text me back.

I felt my phone was vibrating and so I reached into my pocket to look at it. I was a little surprise when I was I got a message from Ross.

Ross 💖
Hey love. I'm sorry but I can't go there for your birthday because I still have to film a few scenes. Love you and happy birthday x

I locked my phone and put it back in my pocket. I sipped my coffee so fast that I spit it out because it was too hot. I put it down in the table and brushed my hair as I held back the tears.

Ross promised me that he would make sure he would be here for my birthday.

But guess what? He broke his promise and that broke my heart.

I got up from my seat, leaving my cup in the table. I went to the door and left the coffee shop.

I ran quickly to my apartment, not caring if people were staring at me. When I reached my room, I opened the door and jumped to my bed and had a mental breakdown.

I thought I was going to celebrate my birthday with my boyfriend, but apparently his scenes were more important than me. So I had no choice but to celebrate it with my one and only self.

What a great birthday.

—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—

It's A/n time!!

Hey guys! I just want to inform you that the next chapter will be the last chapter. And I'm not yet sure if it will be a long one or a short one. Let's see.

Do you think it will be a happy ending or a sad one? Hmmm...

Thank you so much for reading my story!

Don't forget to vote, comment and share it to you friends! Have a good day.

xoxo,
gurl