twenty eight

harry

My hands dart up to push his body backwards with a harsh shove, he seems surprised by the impact but still a cocky smirk laces his lips. Anger washes through me, his tongue slipping from his mouth to lick over his lips carefully and piercing blue eyes narrow in on Lola next to me.

Her small frame leans against mine, wrapping her arm around my own in a protective manner. My eyes still stay narrowed in on Louis, his blue eyes are glimmering with amusement and a tinge of jealousy as he watches Lola touch my skin and not his. I want to laugh in his face that she's no longer his play toy, I want to watch him crumble knowing he lost the most beautiful gem this world has offered him. But I don't. As concerned I am as to why he's here, and the urge inside my bones to punch that smug smile of his lips–I need to focus on the one who matters the most right now.

"Harry?" My sisters familiar tone pulls my eyes from Louis. "You can go in and see him now." I turn back to Louis to confront him some more but he's gone once my eyes land back on the narrow corridor.

The beeping sound of the machines would probably haunt me for a lifetime as I entered that hospital room, but all I cared about now was my friend laid on that bed and the jagged cut across his cheek that almost didn't seem real until I noticed the swelling and bruised tones around his pale face.

My hand involuntarily grab his cold one, no movement from his limp bones as I squeeze gently. I sigh as my eyes fall to the tubes connecting to his body, narrowing in on the mask against his face that is forcing his lungs to breath for him. Tears threaten to brim in my eyes as I watch my friend lifeless in the hospital bed, his broken eyes swollen and his mauve and blue bruises growing with time.

"He was here." A voice shakes my trance and I turn to see the familiar brown eyes I was aching to lay my own on. "I saw you push him."

"Luke," I sigh, letting go of Sean's hand softly and going up to the man to hug him. His large arms wrap around my body and I feel the shake in his bones, the tremble in his breath as he inhales. "Yeah he was here, he's gone now though."

"Sean was so stupid to get involved in this." Luke comments. "I knew I should of stayed here to look after him."

It seemed the protective older brother gene ran deep in both these two, Sean always protected his friends and family and made sure he was always there to indicate a sense of protection to those he cared about–he obviously got that from Luke. Guilt consumed him as he gazed upon his brothers body, slowly walking up to the end of the bed with tears falling down his red cheeks.

I follow, letting my hand rub against his shoulder as I look upon Sean's broken and beaten face. I should of killed him when that smug smile laced his lips.

As if reading my thoughts, Luke sighs loudly. "Don't think what I'm thinking Harry, Sean wouldn't want that."

"Then what would he want?" I can taste the tears rising inside my throat, my eyes burning at the image of my friend and who did this to him.

"He's the idiot who got involved with Louis and those people," Luke almost seems to be telling Sean this, not me. "He's the idiot that decided selling drugs was better than getting a proper job." I watch as Luke's hands shake against the metal of the bed, his fingers turning white and his face reddening. "He's the idiot that ditched his friends camping trip to go party with drug addicted morons, he's the idiot that thought nothing of it and was ambushed by these people because they thought he supplied the drugs, and now they walk around thinking they're mighty awesome for beating up a eighteen year old k-kid and he's here with no life inside him."

Tears fall down my cheeks now, watching Luke break down was the most heartbreaking thing. My heart ached inside my draining body, the frail inside my bones aching for me to sit down and adjust to these thoughts and feelings.