thirty two

lola

three weeks before

My eyes glimmered against the fluorescent lights of the cafe, the last contents of my latte emptied down my throat and soothed my tired bones. It was quiet inside, a few murmurs from other employees scattered around as they cleaned but other than that, the only sound was the rain outside drumming against the windows. I relished in the lateness, warmth seeping into my skin as I wrapped my coat around my body.

I looked down at the newspaper below me once more, reading an article on the pages below.

"Always reading," my eyes widened as a familiar voice speaks from the seat opposite me. "Even after a hard day of work."

Louis Tomlinson, my first love. His dark hair was damp against his forehead and a smile that dared to spell trouble laced his lips, he pulls a chair out and takes a seat before me, smelling of cigarette smoke and musk.

I didn't smile at first, but then a wide grin resumed the happiness that bubbled inside me. Somehow relieved that he was okay, he was still the hauntingly gorgeous boy I hated to love when I was seventeen years old.

"Louis," my voice was breathless as I stared into his bright eyes. "What-"

"Nice to see you too, Lola." He nodded, letting a stray hair fall over his eye and a crooked smile fall to his features. "You're as beautiful as ever."

"What are you doing here, Louis? I thought you were in New York."

Louis shrugged. "I was," his body moves with the wind outside, leaning his elbows on the table and veering closer to me. "But I came back, I actually have a few shows booked around the state."

I smile slightly. "That's great, Louis."

"Yeah," his eyes were deep, the color of the ocean on a stormy night as it readies to swallow anything in its path. "Come to my show next Friday, it's the first show of the little tour and I would love for you to come and see my new music."

I swallow a harshness inside my throat, blinking a few times. "Louis," I warn. "I don't know if that's such a good idea."

"Why?"

I stumble over my words a little as I shift in my seat.

"Harry?" Louis says, cocking an eyebrow.

I open my mouth to speak, but Louis interrupts my thoughts. "It's been like six months Lola, I don't care anymore. I'm a different man, I've changed a lot." He shrugs and the tone of his voice makes me want to believe him, but I knew how tempered Louis could be and I knew something was off about his confession.

But I wanted to believe him, believe things could be okay.

"Okay," I smile. "One show won't be so bad, I'm sure I can work something out."

Louis lets a wide grin replace the features on his face. "Great, it's at our pub." Louis winks as he stands, letting his tattooed fingers linger on the table near my own. "Can't wait to see you there."