Act I: Scene Three

ACT I
— Scene 3 —
P O V : L O U I S

I yawned, watching the professor pour solutions into an assortment of test tubes. I turned to Grace, who looked wide awake and focused. Unlike me, she cares about that whole "sleep" thing. I made a note to myself to get to sleep a bit earlier that night.

"Psst... sleepy head," Grace whispered in my ear. I looked up at her energetic face.

"What?" I groaned.

"This class is boring as shit" she whispered between chuckles. I nodded, fiddling with my pencil before it slipped out of my hand and fell on the floor.

"Shit," I muttered and got out of my chair to pick it up. I heard a few giggles from the back of the glass, and after retrieving the pencil, looked back at the two girls.

Ah, classic Ava and Melina. The two best friends who had nothing better to do besides talk about my so-called "amazing ass".

"I'm fucking gay, you straight shits," I sputtered back at them. With that, Melina burst out laughing.

"Us? Straights?" She joked, and Ava chuckled.

"What? Is everyone gay?" I asked.

"Pretty much. We're all gay here; no hetero intended. Right, Ava?" She looked over at the brunette to find her head resting on her desk, asleep. "How the fuck can you fall asleep that fast?" she questioned, clearly baffled. She shook the girl until she rose, looking confused.

"How long was I asleep?" Ava asked.

Melina giggled, "Only like, 30 seconds. Incredible, I know. I think that's a new record."

The professor cleared his throat, "Excuse me, please quiet down. I'm about to pour in the peroxide solution. Now, watch."

He lifted the beaker and poured the peroxide into a test tube. I could see it start to bubble and rise, and everyone's eyes began to widen.

"Quick, everyone! Hide under the tables," Screamed Isaac. He was the know-it-all of the class. It was no surprise that he took the chance to blab about all the amazing knowledge he had.

He continued, "You all should know that this solution is incredibly toxic, especially when it expl-"

Before he could finish his sentence, the whole room went bright and droplets of liquid filled the air. It all happened so quickly, and I could hardly prepare myself. After only a few seconds, smoke filled the room, and everyone was coughing.

Since no one had read over the safety procedures at the beginning of the year, Isaac and the professor had to instruct us. He headed outside the building, and everyone got hosed down until we were soaking wet. It was irritating, but better than having our skin burnt off by the harsh chemicals.

The professor apologised about a million times. He had poured the solution into the wrong test tube, and he would make extra precautions so it wouldn't happen again. Of course, we didn't care too much, because it gave us an excuse to get out of class. Since the chemistry room was filled with possibly toxic gas, class was dismissed.

While responsible students would take this extra time to study for exams, Grace and I walked around the campus, enjoying the fresh air. As we walked past the fountain, we spotted Ava and Melina sitting in the grass having a picnic. How they had time to set that all up, I had no idea.

They sat on a red and white checkered blanket. Ava pulled off the stem of a strawberry and popped it into Melina's mouth.

"Do you think they're gay for each other?" Grace asked.

"Hmm," I thought for a bit, before coming to a conclusion. I swear, they were the only two people who could act so gay, yet stay so platonic. "I think they're just extremely close. I bet people think the same about us, that we're straight for each other."

Grace laughed, agreeing, "You've got a point."

I reminisced for a while, thinking about all the moments we shared ever since the first day of uni. I didn't want to move away from her, but I knew it was the right thing to do, for me. Although I wouldn't have met Grace without this school, I didn't particularly enjoy it. I loved Newcastle, but after living here my entire life, I needed something different.

Finally, Grace spoke up, "So, about the whole moving thing..."

I laughed, "I was just thinking about the same thing, weird."

She sighed, "It seems like I can't think about anything else. The thought of having any other dormmate is absurd to me. Who else could tolerate my One Direction obsession, or help me with my Tumblr theme?"

I smiled, "You're welcome for that, by the way. Learning how to use HTML wasn't easy. Thanks to me, you now have a wonderful, sparkly cursor every time you visit your blog."

"Exactly, this is why you're my best friend," Grace continued, "You promise to visit me, right?"

I turned to her and smiled, "Of course I will, but the further I move, the less I'd be able to see you."

"About that... do you know where you're going?" She asked. We hadn't even mentioned the moving thing since last week, so it was strange that she had brought up now. I'd thought about this particular question so often, and I had a few ideas, but I was still unsure.

"Okay... I don't have any ideas yet, but do you?" I asked. She grinned.

"Well... how about Brighton? You'll fit right in with the gays and the YouTubers," she smirked. I squinted in confusion.

"Last time I checked, I'm not a YouTuber," I remarked.

She nodded and continued, "Yeah, but you're gay."

I rolled my eyes. "Gee, wow, thanks for the update Grace!" I fumed. Sometimes it seemed like my sexual orientation was my only notable feature.

I hadn't even dated anyone, ever, yet it was practically the only thing people knew me for. The thought of getting close to someone was scary, and I preferred being alone. Maybe, someday, I'd find someone, but the idea of commitment was terrifying.

I continued, "We can narrow it down to England; I don't want to be too far from here. Oh, and no Brighton."

Grace pouted, "I was actually quite proud of that idea; I'm sorry that your stubborn ass doesn't like it."

"What about London?" I asked on a tangent.

She looked at me in surprise, "Isn't it like, super expensive there? How would you be able to afford a flat?"

I can't believe I hadn't thought about the price before.

"Right..." I continued.

Grace looked at her phone, and I could see her start to panic. "Louis, er, I gotta get to physics. Meet you at the cafe for lunch?"

I smiled, "Yeah, of course. Have fun."

She rolled her eyes and replied, "I'll try my hardest to enjoy my least favourite class."

I laughed and watched her walk away, with the thought of London lingering in my mind.

AN: Wow, a guest appearance from the writers, how exciting! Thanks again for reading :)

— Ava and Melina