Act IV: Scene Five

ACT IV
— Scene 5 —
P O V : G R A C E
DAY SEVEN

Song: Long Way Down by One Direction

I stood up, pushing my chair under the desk and putting on my backpack. I began to make my way out of the classroom when I heard someone call my name.

Before I knew it, Melina and Ava stood in front of me eagerly.

"So where's Louis?" Melina asked, a huge grin on her face.

"We heard he's back," explained Ava. "Everyone's talking about it."

I nodded, surprised at how the news spread so fast. "Yeah, he's staying with me. Why?"

Melina smiled excitedly, "We want to see him!"

I sighed, "I don't know; he hasn't been doing so well. He probably just wants to be alone right now."

They exchanged a frown.

"Did something happen?" Ava asked.

I bit my lip. "No, it's just-" I started, "You know what, I'll let him know you said 'hi', okay?"

They both nodded and we waved goodbye, leaving me to walk back to our dorm alone.

In truth, I still didn't actually know what had happened to Louis. It obviously had something to do with Harry, but the full story was still unknown to me.

I found Louis lying on the couch with a bowl of soggy bran flakes. His eyes were slightly droopy and red. He barely noticed me as I sat down at his feet.

"Hey," I spoke. He grunted a 'hello' in return, making me roll my eyes.

"Do you want to tell me why your eyes are red? Have you been crying, or smoking?" I said, half-joking.

"Allergies."

I scoffed. "Bullshit. You only get spring allergies."

He frowned. "Fine. I haven't been smoking, if that's what you're worried about."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "So you were crying?"

Louis then dropped his gaze to the ground, avoiding eye contact. He mumbled something I couldn't quite catch.

I sighed, scootching closer to him. "Listen, I know you said you didn't want to talk about whatever's going on, but as your best friend, I reserve the right to know."

Louis said nothing, only sitting up on the couch.

"Fine. You really want to know everything?" he asked.

I nodded. "Every detail."

---

"And, yeah. The morning came and it was all just too much for me, so I left."

I buried my face in my hands, letting out a deep sigh. "Seriously, Louis?"

"But you don't understand-"

"Did you even think about how Harry might have reacted? Or how he's feeling right now, for that matter?" I said, cutting him off.

He rolled his eyes. "Okay, I'm sorry."

"This is serious, Louis. I know you were very conflicted but you can't just think about yourself. Besides, Harry is the one you need to be apologising to."

"That's exactly the problem, Grace. I'm not fit for Harry. He has experience and he isn't afraid of falling in love or being open about his feelings. I wouldn't be enough for him," he said solemnly.