Act II: Scene Two

ACT II
— Scene 2 —
P O V :  H A R R Y

I woke up, startled. For a second, I thought I was back home in my old bed against my pillows. Instead, I found myself in Louis' car, with my head leaning against the window. The memories all flooded back.

I turned to look at the boy beside me, who didn't seem to realise that I'd awoken. He was staring out at the road, looking concentrated and deep in thought.

My eyes made their way to his jawline. Sharp. He was wearing a tee shirt that was quite wrinkled. Shading would be difficult. I could already imagine the painting in my head. Tattoos hugged his arms; drawing them would be interesting. I'd use black paint with a hint of turquoise. I didn't have anything but pencils in my bag, yet I had a sudden itch draw every detail of the scene in front of me.

Still keeping his eyes on the road, he suddenly spoke up, "Having fun staring at me then?"

I blinked back in surprise and slight panic at the realisation that I was looking at him for way too long. My cheeks faded into a deep pink as I coughed uncomfortably, trying to buy time to think of something to say.

"How long was I asleep?" I asked, taking notice of the raspiness of my voice.

Louis shrugged. "Dunno, about an hour or less," he answered, having to raise his voice over the sound of the wind blowing through the window next to me.

I looked out the window, a sigh escaping my lips. I rested my head on top of my arms, my head sticking out the window. I tried finding something to focus on, something to draw. But, the car was moving quickly and all I saw was a blur.

The thought of sketching Louis still rested in my mind.

A few moments passed, and I turned back to Louis. Surprisingly, he was looking at me already through the rear-view mirror. I couldn't quite read his expression. Confusion? fondness? I couldn't tell.

There was something about him that scared me, but not in a creepy way. I kept finding myself getting nervous around him about things that shouldn't matter.

I broke the incredibly awkward eye contact to get the sketchpad and pencils from my bag.

"So," I mumbled, clearing my throat as I shifted in my seat. I was never very good at conversation, but I hated the silence. I wanted to turn the radio on again, but I didn't think Louis would want me to.

"Where are you staying?" Louis spoke up.

"What?" I said, not looking up from my lap. Still, I could tell Louis was rolling his eyes.

"Don't you have a place to stay, in London?" he asked. I began to draw his outline.

"Oh. I- I was going to- "

"You don't have a place to stay, do you?" Louis said through gritted teeth, turning to me to give me a death stare. I winced, praying he wouldn't murder me right then and there.

He stayed quiet for some time until he sighed. "I guess you're going to have to stay at my place, until you find somewhere else to live."

"What?" I asked, feeling as if I didn't hear him correctly.

"I rented a nice flat a few months ago, in Camden. You could stay there for a bit, if you want."

I wrinkled my nose, looking down at my sketchpad. "Camden? Isn't that place full of weird people?" I instantly regretted it, thinking I might've sounded rude. Before I had time to clarify what I said, Louis cut me off with scoff.

"Well, if that's true then you'll fit right in," He chuckled.

Normally it would've bothered me, but I guess I deserved it. "Well, thank you," I replied. I made an effort to keep my cool, but on the inside, I was panicking. Living with Louis? I had already made a fool of myself in front of him various times, and he clearly didn't like me. He probably only offered to live together because he felt bad.

What if I'll be a nuisance? Where will I put my art supplies, all my brushes and my canvases? What if I break something? Oh my god, what if I get paint on his couches and his walls and-

I stopped my thoughts abruptly when I noticed I had been stress-scribbling all over my drawing of Louis. "Shit," I muttered.

The rest of the trip was silent, except for the wind blowing furiously through the window. I was getting into the details of my drawing and soon I was satisfied enough to be finished.

"Lou-ee?" his name sounded oddly childlike on my tongue. "How do spell your name?"

"L-O-U-I-S," he spoke.

"Hmm, silent 'S'," I said to no one in particular as I jotted down his name at the bottom of the page. I could see Louis nodding in response from the corner of my eye.

The journey went by quickly, and soon enough I found myself getting out of the vehicle, Louis handing me my bags. I mumbled a 'Thank you' before we stood side by side, both facing the place I would call home for the next few weeks.

Louis got the keys and opened the door, and from there on began my new life.

AN: Are you guys excited? It only gets better from here. Longer chapters coming soon.

Ava and Melina