Act III: Scene Fifteen

ACT III
— Scene 15 —
P O V : H A R R Y

I had to ask him.

Here I was, eating in complete silence just like any other night, right across from Louis. At that moment, I knew I had to ask the question that had been on my mind for the past couple of days.

I raised my head to look up at him. I was apprehensive, but I knew that if I didn't get this off my chest, I would surely explode.

Here goes nothing.

"Louis?"

He looked up from his bowl. "Yeah?"

I looked down, taking a deep breath before meeting his eyes again.

"What are we?"

I felt my hands start to shake. I tried to keep my cool, rubbing them on my thighs and biting my lip.

He squinted his eyes. "What do you mean?"

"Like-" I started, "Our... relationship."

He stared back at me in silence.

"Well," I spoke again, using my hands to search for the right words, "We're not friends, right?"

I shook my head. "I mean, sure, of course we're friends- But friends don't kiss each other, or take each other on dates, or- do the things we do."

Whilst I was busy pouring my heart out, Louis looked as if he'd just seen a ghost. The colour was completely drained from his face, his mouth slightly parted, not saying a single word back.

"I..." he hesitated, scratching the back of his neck.

I patiently waited for him to continue, resting my clasped hands on the table in hopes of a pleasant response.

He sighed, shifting his attention to the floor. "Harry, I... I don't know what to say."

"Oh."

Louis opened his mouth to speak before taking a bite of his chilli, clearly trying to avoid any further conversation.

Almost on cue, my phone started to ring. Louis looked over at my screen. It was Sean.

I stared at the phone on the table. "Sean's calling me."

"He is," he replied.

"Uh, I'd love to discuss this more," I apologised to Louis, "But I have to take this."

I answered the call, bringing the phone up to my ear as he watched.

"Hey babe!" Sean shrieked over the phone. I was about to roll my eyes, but I tried to keep a neutral face.

"Uh, hey."

"So, I was thinking about what we could do today," he exclaimed, loud enough for Louis to hear every word.

"Alright, what were you thinking?"

"So, I know that we both absolutely love romantic comedies, so I bought a few to choose from. Have you seen The Notebook? And maybe we could make cupcakes, and I could show you my art collection!"

I glanced over at Louis, who was displaying an uncomfortable expression. "Yeah, I've seen that one."

"Oh, no worries," Sean replied, "I have alternatives; we're bound to find something you haven't watched."

I ran my fingers through my hair. "What time do you want me to come over?"

"As soon as possible."