Act IV: Scene Two

ACT IV
— Scene 2 —
P O V : L O U I S
DAY ONE

I was halfway to Newcastle when my phone started buzzing.

"For Christ's sake-"

Without even glancing at the screen, I turned it off, focusing my attention back to the road.

I couldn't let anything stop me from leaving. I couldn't turn back.

A minute later, my phone buzzed again. This time, I looked at the screen. It was a voicemail.

From Harry.

I tightened my grip the steering wheel, clearing the notification. The last thing I would do is listen to it.

I knew the calls would come eventually. I braced myself for thousands of texts from Harry, or maybe even Liam. They would eventually talk to Zayn, who I texted earlier today. He would tell them I was gone.

A small voice in the back of my head told me that I could, and should turn around and drive back to London. But the more I thought about it, I knew what was done was done. I couldn't unwrite what was on that sticky note.

---

I stood outside my old dorm room, taking a deep breath before knocking on the door. A moment later, it swung open.

"Oh."

Grace stared at me for a few seconds, unsure of what to say. "Louis, what are you doing here?"

At that moment, I realised that I didn't have much of an explanation. "Can you just let me inside?"

She held the door open for me, saying nothing as I made myself comfortable on the sofa.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on, or..." she trailed off, crossing her arms over her chest.

I thought of something quickly. "It's Harry- I mean, Harry's grandmother, yeah. He's visiting her in hospital for some medical thing."

Grace furrowed her eyebrows, turning to me. "That doesn't explain why you're here."

"It's just-" I started, "The house felt empty, you know?"

She slowly nodded, "So, you miss him?"

It's practically the opposite, actually.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that."

"Oh, okay," she squinted, not looking convinced. "Are you sure you're alright?"

I frowned. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well," she laughed dryly, "You look like you just got hit by a freight train."

I slapped her arm, crossing my arms over my chest. "That was rude."

"It's out of love, I swear. I just want to make sure you're really fine."

"I am," I told her, avoiding eye contact. "Should I get my suitcase?"

"Yeah, do that," she said with a small smile, "I'll make us some lunch."

---

I was in bed listening to Green Day when I heard the knock on my door.

"Yes?" I called out, pausing the music and putting my phone and headphones on the nightstand. The door opened slightly, and Grace stepped in, hands on her hips.

I sighed. "I didn't say you could come in; I could have been naked or something."

"Like I haven't seen that before," she joked, walking over to sit on the edge of my bed. The comforter was still Star Wars themed, to my surprise. I thought the new dorm mate would have exchanged them. "I made you pizza."

I nodded, "I know."

"Well?"

"I'm not hungry," I told her, even though my stomach had been growling just a few minutes ago.

"Bullshit," she scoffed, a grin forming on her face. Her smile faded when my face remained unchanged.

"Alright, that's it. Spill the tea."

"What?" I asked, trying to sound oblivious.

"Tell me what's going on with you and Harry."

I frowned, rubbing my eyelids. "I already told you."

"Louis," she whined.

"Grace," I mocked.

"I'm not joking."

I groaned, grabbing the covers and bringing them over my head. "Leave me alone, I wanna sleep."

I glanced at the bedsheets.

Darth Vader, please help me.

Without saying a word, Grace pulled the covers over her head as well. Now, the two of us were completely enclosed by the sheets.

"Listen," she sighed, "I know you don't want to talk right now, but if Harry is alone in London with a broken heart and-"

I frowned, turning to her. I couldn't bear the thought. But how much did she know, and why?

"You talked to Harry?" she asked.

"No," she shook her head, her eyes narrowing. "I was right?"

"I don't know," I said softly. "I haven't talked to him since I left."

The room fell silent. I wondered if Grace was going to ask me anything else, or just wait for me to let the cat out of the bag.

I couldn't get the image out of my head. Harry waking up to an empty bed. Harry wondering where I was. Harry with a broken heart.

What am I thinking?

Harry had Sean.

Finally, she spoke.

"Oh."

I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. "Yeah."

"Is there anything else I need to know?" she asked, laying down next to me.

I thought for a moment. I didn't know how much of the truth I was prepared to tell her.

"The thing is," I started, "Harry's grandma is fine. I mean, as far as I know."

"And Harry's at home?"

"Right," I choked out, unable to look her straight in the eyes.

"So he never left to visit her in hospital."

"Correct again."

Even though her tone was calm, I could tell that Grace was disappointed in me. I didn't know how to continue, so I decided not to.

"Can we talk about this tomorrow?" I asked, "I just need some rest."

She nodded. "Yeah, of course. But what about the pizza?"

"Cold pizza makes an excellent breakfast," I said with a grin. As stupid as it sounds, joking around made me feel a bit better.

"God," Grace laughed, "You're disgusting."

— Ava and Melina