Act III: Scene Eleven

ACT III
— Scene 11 —
P O V : L O U I S

Harry and I were stood at the door with our luggage in our hands. Grace stood in front of us with a sad smile.

I reached out to take Harry's suitcase, lifting it up and throwing it in the trunk of my car.

I turned to see Grace leaning towards Harry's ear. Since she wasn't so great at whispering, I could hear exactly what she said.

"Be careful with Louis," she mumbled, "And don't break his heart."

Harry rubbed his finger against his bottom lip and looked down at the ground, not noticing that I was watching the entire scene. "We're not together."

She scoffed. "Keep telling yourself that."

I coughed, and Grace turned to me.

"Sorry to interrupt, but we should get going," I told them with a weak smile.

Grace nodded solemnly and pulled me into a tight hug.

"I'll miss you," she said, then leaned to whispered into my ear, "He's a keeper, you know."

I sighed, pulling away. I tried to keep a straight face, but the word "fond" was practically written on my forehead.

I could tell that Harry was trying to look oblivious, too, as he bit his lip and avoided eye contact.

The two of us stepped inside the car, Harry immediately turning on the radio and rolling down the window. I started the car and began pulling out.

Harry held his hand out of the window, waving to Grace.

"Goodbye!" he called out. Grace waved back, and after driving outside the campus, Harry rolled the window back up.

Since the sound of the air blowing through the window was no longer present, we could clearly hear How To Save A Life by The Fray playing on the radio.

I smiled and turned the volume up. Harry turned to watch me as I began to sing along to the words I knew by heart.

As I gradually felt more comfortable, my singing got louder, and Harry's mouth hung open.

"What happened to 'I hate music and everything on the radio'?" he joked.

I shrugged. "Not everything. The Fray were my first concert, so they've got a special place in my heart."

Harry's lips formed into a silly frown. He raised an eyebrow and nodded, as if to say "good to know."

"I wish I could say the same about my first concert," he muttered, "It was Justin Bieber, and I was miserable."

I grinned and placed one hand on his thigh. "Then why'd you go?"

"My sister Gemma loved him," he explained, and added, "Both hands on the wheel, Lou!"

I sighed and did as he said. "Is she your only sister?"

He laughed, "Yeah, it's nothing compared to the dozens you have."

"Tell me about her."

Harry turned to me, looking a bit taken back. After a while of silence, he started, "Well, she's older than me."

"Very informative," I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, be nice," he whined, "She's a journalist, works for media outlets and the sort."

I nodded but stayed quiet, so he would continue.

"She's really lovely, I mean, most of the time," he explained.