Chapter 14

Riannon's POV

I felt sick. I felt like I was gonna throw up all of the evening's contents. Never in a million years did I imagine that I would cross paths with him again. He made my skin boil and at the same time, I felt a chill crawl down my spine as he ran his hand down my arm, afraid of what he might do next.

'Oh my Riannon. I have been searching everywhere for you. Do you know how long it took me to find you?'

I kept quiet, knowing that if I uttered what I actually felt inside, the consequences won't be good.

'I've missed you so much,' He said as he ran his rough lips on my neck. I recoiled back, feeling disgusted. The action only made him tighten his hold on my arm even more. I was sure there would be bruises later. 'Why did you leave?' He continued.

'Because I had my studies to pursue,' I said indifferently.

'Liar!' He hissed in my ear. 'You were running away from me weren't you?! Answer me!!!' He shook me hard, forcing me to blurt out the truth but I clamped my mouth shut, not willing to give him the satisfaction.

'My, my. Somebody has learned to be stubborn now,hasn't she. Maybe I should teach you a thing or two about that and make you think twice before you show me that attitude!'

He wrapped his hand around my neck and started squeezing hard, cutting off my wind pipe, making it hard for me to breathe. I tried to remove his hand, wheezing and in need of oxygen but it didn't budge. So much for all my self defence classes. Where did all those hours of practicing go when you really needed to make use of them? In that moment of desperation, I did the only thing I could think of. I kneaded him hard in the groin with all the strength I could muster.
I heard him groan in pain and his hold on my neck loosened. I took the chance and ran out of the apartment. I went as fast as my legs could carry me, I didn't have time to catch my breath though my throat was hurting like hell.

Keep running, you need to keep running. I told myself. When I reached the main door, I fumbled with the keys but I was shaking so much that I couldn't even fit the key through the keyhole.

Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! What is wrong with you?!

'Riaaaannnnoonn??' I heard him call my name in a mocking sickly sweet tone, 'I'm coming forrr youuuu.' His footsteps were getting louder as he descended down the stairs. I was trembling so much that the keys fell to my feet. I needed help! I ran to the end of the hallway and knocked on the door but no one answered. I stupidly remembered that most of them went home to their families since it was the holidays or are still on their night shifts.

How could I be so unlucky?!!

Fear gripped my heart and tears were forming as I looked for another way out or somewhere to hide. I saw another door and opened it hurriedly only to discover that it was a broom closet. I crammed my way inside and locked it. Taking out my phone, I dialled the only person I could think of right now. I knew that if I called the police, they would take too much time asking insignificant questions.

Please pick up. I begged silently. Please.

'Riannon?' I heard Jackson's groggy voice on the other end of the line. I burst into tears when I heard his voice.

'Riannon! What's the matter?! Are you okay?!' I could hear him getting up from his bed.

'Jackson! Please help me. He's here and I don't know what to do! Please come quick! I'm not sure what he'll do to me if he finds me,' I tried to speak as low as possible afraid of being found.

'Whose there? I'm on way! Where are you right now?'

At that moment I heard the sickening sound of his knuckles colliding with the wood of the door.

'Ooh are you in hereeee???' He laughed hysterically.

I almost screamed but kept my hand across my mouth to stop myself. My mind was blank and I was shivering uncontrollably. My heart was beating so hard against my chest and my eardrums felt like they were gonna bleed.

'Who is that? Riannon! Are you there?! ' Before I could even answer, the door was knocked down with a loud crash and I was roughly thrown backwards against the storage cabinets,the phone falling from my hands.

'Found you!' He sang merrily and pulled me by the arms. I tried to fight back with whatever strength I had but I had hit my head hard on the cabinet edge behind me and I was starting to feel dizzy. I managed to throw a punch, though it was sloppy but it hit him squarely on the jaw.

He touched his face and realised the corner of his lip was bleeding. 'How dare you?' He softly said as he narrowed his eyes at me. Before I even realised what was coming, he grabbed me by my neck again and rammed my head hard against the wall.

I was losing consciousness as I slid down slowly to the ground. I felt the hot liquid running down the back of my head and I felt all my energy draining. I heard jackson's voice over the phone and I wanted to respond to his cries so bad but I couldn't anymore.

I saw a shadow looming over my body, and as everything around me slowly started fading to black, my mind wondered if I would ever see Jackson again....