Chapter 28

Jackson's POV

How did it ever come to this? I groaned as I entered the studio and fell back into the couch behind me, my arms covering my face from the glare of the overhead lights. I haven't had adequate sleep in so long, the consequence of it showing with my sudden loss of weight and the bags under my eyes. How could I? Everything about my life right now was fucked up and I didn't know how to escape this predicament. Wherever I turned to, I was faced with a dead end. I felt trapped. I wanted to leave Seoul but would I truly be rid of my problems if I ran away? Would she be safe if I did?

Everything came down to the safety of one person I cared for the most. Riannon. The ache in my chest only intensified at the thought of her. She was the only thing keeping me from losing my sanity but I knew that I was also losing her slowly. I clenched my fist thinking about Jinyoung being at her side always. I felt my heart break a little even earlier when I saw the both of them downstairs in the basement. But I had no other choice but to walk away if I wanted to keep her safe.

Fuck this shit!! I slammed my hands down on the table in front of me, hot tears beginning to prickle at the corner of my eyes, the frustration biting down hard on my emotional stability.

I took in a few quick breaths, wiping my eyes furiously with the back of my hands. I closed my eyes, trying to calm my laboured breathing, barely able to reign in the anger. I laid down on the soft padding of the sofa and exhaled, wondering for how long would I be able to keep this facade up. I took out my phone and my thumb automatically scrolled up to my gallery, a common habit I had grown accustomed to daily. My eyes found the pictures I was searching for, the ones of Riannon and I, taken months ago and I felt that familiar longing again. I ran my fingers over the screen. My heart hurts so bad but nobody would ever know how much it was killing me inside. Every morning when I woke up, I always felt so empty. I craved to hear her voice, to see her face again, but I had to refrain myself from doing so and swallow up the pain and guilt I felt.

I never wanted to hurt her either but here I was, doing just that. The one thing, I promised I wouldn't do. I got up and threw the vase nearest to me angrily against the wall and watched as pieces of it scattered across the floor.

It didn't matter. It was nothing compared to the damage I had done to her. It was nothing compared to the damage I had done to our relationship.

My head was throbbing and I sqeezed my eyes shut. What should I do? I couldn't help the anger that was constantly brewing inside my head, my mind constantly questioning this hellish nightmare I had to keep up with. And this all started because She came back.

~~~Flashback 1~~~
This better be good. I didn't wanna leave Riannon behind at the cafe, I always felt uneasy when I wasn't with her but I was a bit contended since Yugyeom was there. I drove up to my parking spot, keeping in mind that I'd make it up to her later. I kept rewinding the conversation between the CEO and I and nothing about it seemed amiss but why was there that sense of foreboding when I got that phone call? I walked towards his office, thinking of various reasons why he would call me on such a short notice.

As I drew nearer to his room, I could make out a familiar voice, one I never wanted to hear ever again, making me stop dead in my tracks. A feeling of dread washed over me as I approached the half opened door, the sound of her voice like nails raking across a chalkboard. My footsteps were getting heavier as I advanced closer, wishing I could just turn back and leave. Just as I placed my hand on the handle, their conversation stopped abruptly and I was suddenly engulfed within two lean arms and a suffocating blanket of perfume.

'Oh Jackson!! You're finally here! How I missed you baby!' She shouted as she hugged me tight.

'What the hell Jiyeon?! Let me go immediately!!' I pushed her off, hatred filling every part of my being.