Chapter 25

Riannon's POV

I stood still, I didn't realise I had dug my nails hard into my palm and I stared blankly at my hands which had deep red marks on the surface. I was numb as I felt Jackson's words and their kiss repeat in my head over and over again,my eyes glazing over. I slowly walked away, my heart pounding loudly, but everything else didn't seem to be working. I heard the thunder rolling and a few drops of rain started dripping down, but I was too stunned to care.

I was still trying to grasp onto everything that happened in the last few minutes,still trying to wipe that image out of my memory, still trying my best to digest the piece of information, running the words in my head again..as though it would sound or make any difference if I kept repeating it..but bottomline is...Jackson is engaged...the words itself felt bitter on my mouth. I choked on a sob as I held myself back from crying. I walked only a few steps when I felt someone put their hands on my shoulder.

'Riannon. How come you're here??' Yugyeom's worried voice brought me out of my dazed state.

'Why Yugyeom?' My voice broke as I glanced up at him, tears forming at the corner of my eyes. 'You texted me for this?'

Yugyeom look confused at my words. 'What text?'

'You're the one who sent me the damn text!! I didn't need to be here.. I know I could have heard the news eventually but making me watch it with my own eyes?? You just had to call me here???' I was trying to keep it low but failing miserably.

'What are you talking about ??!'

'You tell me! You're the one who asked me to come here!' I snapped at him.

'Wait Wha-what?' Yugyeom looked shocked as he stared at me. 'Riannon please believe me. I would never do such a thing. I lost my phone this morning. I tried searching for it everywhere after I got back home from our jogging but I couldn't find it anywhere! I think I know who took it..please believe me.. come with me.. we need to talk and somewhere else away from here preferably.' He spoke hurriedly as he took my hand,walking towards the pathway,away from the gathering.

I pried my hands from his grip, my mind in shambles as I turned away from him. 'Please..Yugyeom, just leave me alone,' I spoke softly, trying to keep my voice stable as I refrained myself from breaking into pieces right there.

'Riannon please..' He begged as he took a step towards me but I didn't want to hear anything else as I ran away from him. Just as I did,the clouds opened up and it started pouring heavily, the roaring thunder accompanying the flashes of lightning. At that point I didn't care anymore as the rain beat down my body, washing my tears as they spilled over, my cries muffled by the sound of the thunder. I could hear Yugyeom's distant voice calling out but I was already too far away from him and I wasn't going to turn back.

I ran till I couldn't breathe anymore, my chest aching and my heart palpitating against my ribs. I spotted a bench and sat down, my eyes lifting up to the skies, as I let out a painful cry.

Why Jackson? Why did you make me fall so hard only for you to hurt me like this? Why did I even let myself fall for you? Why? I should've known better.. I should've known better...

I was shivering by then but I couldn't seem to find the strength to get up and head home. I just wanted to sit there and let the rain wash away all my sadness and all the pain. I burrowed my face in my hands as I let it all sink in, sobs still wracking my body.
I was trying to pull myself together when I felt the raindrops stop hitting my body and someone's presence in front of me. Confused, I looked up to find Jinyoung holding an umbrella, his hair and a bit of his clothes also wet from the heavy downpour. His eyes were blotched red and he suddenly bent down and pulled me into his arms,hugging me.