All is fair in love and war

Much to Shravan's surprise Sumo had slept off through the major chunk of the journey. She had argued and he had switched the radio on. She had kept flipping through the channels and chattered about all the songs of 2000s that he had missed. She had got tired and finally dozed off, gazing  out of the window. He could have woken her up but this helped him to make some calls. He had to arrange some tickets and this day off also meant meant he had some work to be wrapped up.

Mausa and Mausi had been given a new client. They would take 2 more days to return. Shravan had gone out of the way to ensure that Sumo was safe and happy and he was around and very conveniently missed saying where.  They had assumed that Sumo stayed with the Malhotras.

Shravan wanted to park the car and spent the rest of the day just staring at Sumo. He was dreaming.  The nightmares that had haunted him in London had come true. He hated it back,  that Sumo still came in his dreams. He had woken up angry and more determined to hate her but those dreams were real now and he knew he could never hate her. How misplaced had been his judgements and how callous had he been in speaking about her... God! if he could turn back time, he would spend every second loving her. But he drove on.... He had chosen Taj Mahal as their "date" day because he knew it was most appropriate. But he also knew her reactions and he chuckled to himself.

×××××××××××÷××××××××××
10 years ago.

"Kabristan! Ye bhi koi jagah hai duniya ko pyaar sikahne ke liye. Aur school ke picnic mein koi mare insaan dekhne kyon aayega.  Delhi mein mortuaries nahi hain?"

"Sumo.. Taj Mahal pyar ka prateek hai. Please tour ke liye haan kar do. Mein jab bada hoonga tumhe kahin pyara sa ek place ya city...kahin bhi le jaoonga "

"Oye chashmish tu kyon le jayega mujhe? "

"Nahi mera matlab hai.. agar tum.."

"Waise chal, agar mein tere saath chaloon to kahan le jayega?"

"Hmm.. Venice?"

Sumo laughed out loud. " Tu bada hoke note chapega jo doston ko weekend pe Venice le jayega.. hahah."  "Venice le jaoonga " She mimicked him and ruffled his hair.

××××××××××××××
Shravan smiled. Venice is on the cards, but not yet. He slowly caressed her hand and held it, afraid that he may wake her up. When they reached Agra, he stopped. Sumo stirred.  Some things were more important than  love. Breakfast!!

He wanted to kiss her but remembered his promise.  Ok then! Friend it is ... He screamed into her ears.

"Shravan "she had cried back impulsively.  She woke up with a start and took a few seconds to realise where she was and  what had happened.

Shravan grinned. "Get out ! bhook lagi hai yahan ka dhaba world class parathas deta hai. Uthogi ya brush karna hai"

"Excuse me. Mein soyi nahi thi bus gaana sun rahi thi and soch rahi thi" she joined him outside.

Shravan held her hand casually as they walked in. The aroma of the hot off-the-tawa rotis filled the air.  After devouring the parathas and the spicy palak paneer which she never knew could taste like that, Sumo had nothing else to talk about . Shravan watched her as she animatedly described how she would make it and how she felt the dhaba guy would have made it. She went to identify the different spices.. or was it the oil..or the tadka? Definitely something about the oil. She didn't even notice how Shravan had gone in and out of the present world dreaming about her to himself.  Shravan was shaken off his reverie when he was asked his "final judgement ".

"Kya?"

"Bola...kabhi aisa swaad sukhe dhaniye se aayega? Usne fry karke mix kiya hoga na?"

"Suman Tiwary, kya farak padhta hai. Chalo"