PART 2.7-Ch 18

Baker

The phone rang continuously.

I wrapped the warm blanket around me. I was not in the right state of mind to get out of bed but the phone had been going at it relentlessly for 12 minutes now.

It had been days and my fever had worn off but still. I cursed the phone desperately hoping it would just break into tiny pieces as I dragged myself away from the comfort of my bed.

'Hello, Baker speaking.' I groaned. Goosebumps took over my arms at the sudden contact of less warmer air.

'Wazzup?' the boy tittered.

'Tim?' I jolted awake. I sat up, letting the blanket fall to my hips. My skin shivered at his manlier voice.

'Ah I thought you had forgotten about me,'

'Is something wrong?' It was so long since we last talked. Neither of us had bothered to call with our busy lives.

'Hey man I don't mean to disturb you from the life you're trying to make for yourself but mom needs more cash.'

'What? Why?' My stomach churned with fright. I already had a bad feeling about this.

'The doctors need to perform a few tests to make sure she didn't break her ankle.'

'SHE WHAT?' I shouted. I fucking knew it.

'She slipped while she was working at the restaurant.'

'SHE WHAT?' I fumed.

'She wanted to do it. I'm sorry I didn't stop her.' he murmured, embarrassed.

'Why? What is wrong with you guys? I send money every month! Is that not enough?' I roared.

'Mom just wanted to help.' he raised his voice.

'And what exactly were you doing when she was working her ass off? Huh? College chicks? Partying? In case you forgot you're her fucking son too!'

'You don't need to know!'

'What were you doing Timothy?' I growled.

'I was working part-time! Dammit!'
I softened at his words.

'I can pay for your education and the daily living expenses! Don't be stupid and focus on your studies!'

'That's not gonna pay for the debts that's been building up for the vegetable lying at the hospital.'

'Timothy don't talk about your father like that!'

'Can't you just get back to being a doctor?' he cried.

'I can't.' God forbid.

'No. It's been almost a year. I fucking know you can do it this time. It would be hard for us in the short run but think about it man! Mom and I have been saving up so you can work for that scholarship without thinking about us for a while.'

There was a silence where at some point Tim decided to cut the phone leaving me to hear the most excruciating beep.

I started at the cigarette dust that had filled up in the ash tray. I had not taken out the trash for the past week.

I finally managed to set the phone back on the table and plop onto my bed with ease. Everything was falling into place so I could go back, easily but I was still hesitating. I did not want to go back. I could not. I held myself back.

Rose

To think that a single person could be the centre of your universe and all your thoughts, decisions, your life, everything would revolve around her. It was the most toxic thing I could do to myself.

I don't think I was ready to go back. It was hard. I was comfortable being a simple low-paid high school teacher. It paid the bills, gave me a roof over my head. Who was I to be greedy for more?

This life and I were the same. I was not special ever. I had always easily blended into the background. My chest clenched with anger. I hate what I am. Average.

Go for it!

Summer Flemish's words echoed in my head. Her words made my body vibrate with hope and bandaged dreams. Or maybe it was the cold that made me all sensitive.

I reached to scoop a stick out of the pack of cigarettes. Placing it between my lips and took a long deep take. My lungs burned.

That girl was too young for me. I cannot expect anything from that mindless immature being. She was probably partying with her friends and ruling the school with the holy dirt on her heels.

I despised her kind when I was in high school. Those elites who thought they could step all over the student body whenever they wanted.

Fucking Summer might have had a lot to do with my bullied teenage life. At first, when I saw her I went hard and screwed her. Later I continued to do so because I loved having control over the girl. I loved having the upper hand for once. That was why I still am doing her. For my sick twisted past.

That's what I kept telling myself.

Vote. Comment. Love. Hate.

My lungs burned.

I hate what I am. Average.