PART 3.3 Ch 24

I gradually pressed the brakes as the car backed into the space between two others. The parking lot was more packed than usual.

'You sure about it?' I turned the key.

'Yeah man. Not really feeling it right now,' Mia yawned. She leaned into and stretched her arms over head. She must be tired.

'I won't be long,' I climbed out of my car.

I hurriedly walked to Papa's Diner. We would have all stopped by but most of them were busy so I dropped them all off. They all had their own things to do.

Pushing the heavy door open, my eyes immediately spotted the the couple. My jaws stiffened. I forced myself to look anywhere else as I walked but my eyes were fixated on them.

They were not alone. Was it some sort of reunion?

'What would you like?' my thoughts were interrupted.

'A café mocha with extra sugar, thanks,' I smiled hiding the embarassment that creeped up. She had simply asked him to join their get-together, it was not a date.

'Here or takeway?'

'Takeway please,' I jumped to conclusions didn't I?

I was mad for the wrong reasons.

'That'll be 3.70'

'Ah yes' I should leave right now, go behind the pillar so they cannot see me.

My fragile ego cannot take being called a stalker right after I realised I should be the one apologizing this time.

Okay, okay I will just turn and go straight for the door, nothing unusual.

'Miss Summer!' hollered Miss Moore.

I jumped a bit and quickly held onto my cup with both hands checking if I have spilt any. Shyly, I spinned on my heels to the direction of her voice.

'Uhh hi?' I slightly raised my hand awkwardly.

'Come here!' she spoke cheerfully, I felt even more guilty about hitting her with a ball, she is so nice to me ugh.

I walked over awkwardly as ten pair of eyes followed my movements.

'How's your arm Miss Moore?' yes okay I'll keep it short and fast and then leave.

'Oh it's better now don't worry,' she smiled.

'I'm so sorry about that,' I put my head down in shame. I focused on the tiles. They gave off a very retro feel.

'It was an accident, don't apologise!' Oh god if only she knew.

'I have to go, if you would excuse me?' as I slowly backed away from the table I tried not to take a glimpse of Baker but I could not help myself.

Instead of focusing on him my eyes were stuck on to the woman beside him. Her hair, I swear I have seen her somewhere before but I could not pinpoint it.

...

I rushed to the car, ahh shit I made Mia wait for so long.

'Im so sorry it took a while, I met Miss Moore and she was talking to me and I couldn't just leave and-'

'Hey hey it's okay,' Mia cut me off. She waved her hand and then fingers returned to rappidly tapping on her screen, unbothered.

'Right thanks,' I settled in and buckled in the seatbelt uncomfortablely.

Was something off or was it just me?

'Is everything okay?'

'Why wouldn't it be?' she looked at me with her eyebrows pressed together.

'I don't know,'  I turned right, we were close to her house.

Silence followed and it did not seem natural. I steadily accelerated the car and focused on the road. The sun was setting, the pink sky had streaks of dazling orange and purples. It used to look beautiful.

'Do you hate me?' I couldn't stand it, my tucked away insecurities were driving up.

'What? Why would I hate you? Summer,'

'No it's just I know I am a little distant and I haven't been around much and I don't know what's wrong with me and I haven't even written a single word for my college essays and I haven't done anything for the past few weeks and I'm so unproductive and you guys are doing so much and and and-'

I stopped driving and closed my eyes for a minute, I had to cry it out but I did not want to cry it out.

'Summer, you're not the only one with problems you know?'

I turned and she looked straight ahead, it was getting dark and road was empty. Cold air seeped into the car through the half opened window. The seats were cold, my fingertips were cold, everything felt so cold.

I reached out to touch Mia's stiff shoulders hoping for something, anything to get this frigidity to melt away.

She looked at me and her eyes, her eyes were so piercing it could shatter glaciers.

No, no no no.

My arms sprung, engulfing her stiff body and pulled her towards me. I clinged onto her against the force of the seat belts on my chest.

I held her tightly, refusing tears to fall. Slowly her arms found their way and returned the hug.

Suddenly it was not that cold anymore.

We stayed like that for a good few minutes before she reminded me about her curfew.

'Not everyone can stay out that late,' she joked but it was true and I felt like I was being mocked. At the same time I knew where she was coming from.

For neither of us were satisfied with what we had. No matter what we have, someone always has it worse, someone will always have it easier. This made us bitter in our own ways.

What we've failed to realise as teenagers was the fact that, this and all of it, it was not a competition on who had it worse. Our problems were, are valid. They may seem small and foolish to some but that did not mean they were insignificant. We all have our struggles, each fighting our own battles.

Vote. Comment. Love. Hate.