PART 3 Ch 27

Baker POV

I now knew what I needed to do.

Tring Tring Tring

It was Summer. I picked up. That was easy.

'Hey, I was just about to call you-,' 

'Do you wanna go to the beach?' she interrupted 

'Right now?' I was so confused 

'Yeah?' her voice went soft, almost pleading.

'Sure,' How could I say no? This may be the last time.

'Nice, I'm right outside so come out when you're ready,'

I did not have the luxury of  being able to see the street from my window, so I took her word for it and began putting on shoes. As I locked the door behind me and swiftly climbed down the stairs, I realised that we had never been on a proper date. 

I came out the building and looked around. Her head was out the window waving at me. When our eyes met she smiled sweetly. Her eyes were slightly swollen, maybe she was crying.

With no words exchanged when I got in, we started our journey. Soon a comfortable silence set in as we were both wrapped up in our own thoughts to take notice of the passing scenarios. 

Before I realised it we had arrived. She motioned me to get out and the car's engine died down. 

We walked side by side. Not too close yet not too far. Like a string being stretched, at the very brink of breaking.  I looked down to see the wet sand sticking to the sides of my shoes. 

Ugh I don't have the energy to clean them after this. 

It was long before sunset yet the blue hues in the sky got a darker faster. It was time

'I'm leaving,' I spoke loud enough for her to hear so I would not have to repeat a second. I did not want to crush her, it was so obvious she had feelings for me. Even if I had feelings for her then, in the end, I was the adult who took advantage of a  vulnerable student. No student in their right mind would get into an 'arrangement' with a teacher.

She stopped on her tracks. She looked at me and I could feel her body stiffen. I did not know what to do, should I comfort her? Or would that give her hope? Maybe I should give her space? The more I thought about it, the sicker I felt to have taken it this far.

She closed her eyes and looked down. Her fingers touched her eyelids, making sure no tear escapes. Why did do this to her?

'Where are you going?' looking up as she fixed her posture. She looked tall, proud and yet breakable.

'Back to medical school,' she let out a small laugh. 

'What about Rose?' she started walking again. 

'She lives close.' I stopped there, talking about it will only hurt her.

'Baker, you need to tell me what or who you're leaving me for.' she hammered, the frustration clear in her voice.

'I'm not going there to be with Rose. I want to finish medical school and Rose happens to be studying there too! I'm very tired of everyone assuming I make my life decisions based on the people around me!' I snapped remembering my younger brother and how he brought up our dying father.  Summer blinked back her tears.

I should not have raised my voice. For god's sake, I am an adult now. Why cannot I handle this like a man?

She turned her head away from me and looked into the horizon. 

The sun was had nearly set and it went dark pretty fast. The waves were now crashing on to the shore and released a hint of the briny air.

'Hello, such a lovely couple' came from my other side. I was taken aback to see a small woman carrying an old paint bucket filled with red roses. 

How absolutely perfect.

'How about a rose, for the lovely miss?' the woman held out a flower to me. I tensed.

'We were just leaving,' Summer walked away towards the car. I hurriedly followed after.