Prologue

A/N: Hi, again! Thanks for stopping by and checking out my story! As always, I welcome and greatly appreciate your votes and comments, as feedback is a great way for me to improve and interact with my readers!

That being said, I hope you enjoy "All At Once."

----

"No. Absolutely not," Camden says quickly into his phone. He walks the length of his bedroom shirtless, after flying out of the bed so fast he nearly took me with him. 

"I am not the right choice. What? I don't know...no, no I don't want that," he continues on an exhale. "So how does this work then?"

I watch his slow pace, my eyes doing the things my body hasn't gotten a chance to do to him this afternoon. His torso is bare and beautiful. His dark grey sweatpants hang low off his hips. When it comes to casual sex, Camden Fox has proved to be the perfect man for the job. He's wild, free. Aside from our hookups during the week, our lives are completely separate. It's exactly what I need.

His hand runs through his dark hair before he sits down beside me on the bed. He's always so cool, but there's a panic in his eyes I don't recognize. 

"When? Two days?" he yells. "I need more time than that. No..." he says finally, his voice breaking.

He looks busy and disinterested now, but his cheeks are still red from our activities moments ago. He knows doesn't have to worry about hurting my feelings; I'm only in it for the fun.

"Yeah... I suppose so, then," he says finally. For someone who isn't easily bothered, Camden sure looks stressed.

I don't know the reasons, but he told me right off the bat that he doesn't believe in relationships. He doesn't allow himself to be attached to things or people, so emotions aren't attached either. And it works out surprisingly well, because I feel the same way.

But I've never seen this look in his big, blue eyes. Intimidation? Worry? I can't quite peg it, but I dismiss the thought when his conversation ends abruptly.

He slams his phone down on his dresser and shakes his head. I don't know what to do.

"No way in hell this is going to work," he mutters, slipping out of his drawstring pants. My eyes catch on his for a moment before he steps into a pair of dark jeans and tugs on teal t-shirt.

"Should I leave?" I ask quietly, throwing the black sheets off my knees and scooting out of bed.

"No," he says quickly with a frown as he fastens the clasp of his watch. "This is why I don't have responsibilities, Harper," he says, checking the time, as if he's suddenly late for an appointment.

I decide it's best to just not say anything at all. Did he forget I wasn't on the call and have no idea what's going on? 

We've been messing around for a month and never had a more serious conversation than 'your place or mine?' I know what makes him tick and his choice of alcohol, but not the simplest things about him. What's his favorite food? Does he have siblings? Has he always lived in Los Angeles?

I tell myself it's probably for the best. I don't exactly want him sorting through my heart, either. There are things I can barely think about, let alone share with another person. It all happened so early in my life, and those memories... that pain, is meant to stay dead. I've always told myself I got the hard parts of my life done early so I could still grow up with a shot at a normal, happy life.

But I'll be honest. My state of mind is anything but normal; no one grows up dreaming of being lonely. In another life, Camden Fox would be mine.

I pull my black tank top back over my head and slip on my jeans. It's definitely time to go. He's saying too much. Rules are about to be broken and I'm not going to stick around for it.