Harper

"No, I'm not going to be in Monday," Camden says seriously into his phone. He's pacing along a bank of seats at the airport, running his hand nervously through his thick hair. "Yes, I know I've already used up my vacation days," he says.

I chew my lip as I watch him. I've seen it all before; Camden's worried steps, the wild look in his eyes at this very same airport. From the outside, it looks like we've pressed the rewind button and are reliving a moment from months before. Back then, Camden thought his world was ending when he'd have to take care of his nephew. He didn't think he could do it. Now the world has split in two because Chase ran away. Life is full of sick surprises, but we've both already had enough for a lifetime.

I didn't love them back then. I didn't want to, but it's one change of plans I'm happy about. He had to beg me to go with him to the airport the first time, but I got in the car faster than he did this time around. We didn't even pack a bag; there are stores for all that. None of that matters now that Chase is out there on his own.

I'm fortunate enough to have booked this week for a staycation anyway, but I would've called in to work, too, if needed. Nothing's gonna stop me from helping bring Chase home.

"I'm sorry you see it that way, but I'm still not coming in," Camden's voice is rough. He stops in front of me with a look of despair. His blue eyes are big and lost; he's trusting me to save him this time. He's looking at me like I know what to do or say, but I don't. There are no words to calm him when I can't even calm myself. We'll be lucky if we just hold it together until we get to Seattle.

His phone is still pressed up to his ear when his eyes slide shut for a moment. His boss is on his case. I think back to all the times he left work early to get Chase from school or pick him up after his fights. He's on thin ice at work, I know, but this is different.

He tips his head back in frustration, staring up into the florescent lights.

"I have to," he says firmly. "This is my kid!" he yells.

He stops abruptly as the words register. When he catches my eyes, I know he can see what his sweet words have done to me too. We've been blindsided with feelings for the boy.

"If you're going to threaten to fire me over this, go ahead. But it won't change my mind. Chase needs me more than you do right now," he barks and presses the end key before he shoving the phone back into his jeans. He plops down in the seat beside me.

"Fucker," he mutters, crossing his arms and slouching back in the soft seat beside me. "Might be coming back without a kid and a job. What bullshit. That man's priorities are all messed up," he says. "This would be a whole hell of a lot easier if they'd never moved away from Los Angeles," he admits. 

"I still think we should've called the police," I say. "I wish I would've called the police sooner when it came to Cade," his shoulders sink at my words.

"Sorry, but I guess I'm a little more paranoid about this type of thing because of it. He's still just a kid, Camden. I think this is a mistake to handle it by ourselves," I admit.

"We know he's there," he reminds me. "Adding extra people to this will make it worse,"

"You didn't actually talk to him," I say. I hope we're not about to get into another fight about this.

"No. He didn't say a word, but his phone clicked on and I heard Jenna's voice. He's there, somehow. Said he took a bus, but we don't have time to go asking around about that," he checks his watch. "Let's just do it this way, okay? I really don't want to get the police involved. You know why,"